Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Which bullet TC or Hornady? >

Which bullet TC or Hornady?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Which bullet TC or Hornady?

Old 10-29-2010, 09:35 AM
Fork Horn

Default Which bullet TC or Hornady?

I have 3 different types of bullets for my ML and was wondering from people with experience which one is better. I have some powerbelts but have heard enough negative to use them for target practice. Next I have TC 245 gr HP's. Or, Hornady 300 gr with the red polymer tip. I am leaning toward hunting with the Hornadys. I shoot 100 gr of 777 pellets and have a Traditions Pursuit. THANKS in advance.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I favor the SSTs when stuff can get out there, but when 100-150 yards is your max, I'd rather save the money and gun cheaper standard hollow points.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

jerrrrstanley

Of the bullets you listed... I would suggest maybe the 300 Tipped Hornady althought i really do not like them either especially if shooting at close range. If you are hunting whitetail at ranges less than at a 100 or less I really would go with the 245's HP.

The other bullet you might look at if you can find them is a Gold Dot or Deep Curl as they are called now either .452/250 grain or 300 grain if you are shooting beyond a 175 yard most of the time. These bullets are bonded and will not come apart... I call them a 'poor man's Nosler Partition'

Old 10-29-2010, 05:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

It sounds like the one bullet you are talking about might be an XTP it is a good bullet especially below 100 gr of powder. Remember bullets that are not bonded tend to splatter at high velocity. If I had to use any power belts I would fill the hollow point wit a screw or solder.
When you stop and think about it for up to 150yd the Gold Dot or deep curl as they call them now is the best for deer and has a much better price than most of the other decent bullets.
If I need to shoot long range I use the Bonded Shock Wave the always do quite well for me.
I tried them fancy copper bullets a few times but had them fail to open on a long angle shot, I do not pay those kind of prices for something that does not work 100% of the time.