Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Are You a (Modern Traditionalist) MLer and Bow ONLY? >

Are You a (Modern Traditionalist) MLer and Bow ONLY?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Are You a (Modern Traditionalist) MLer and Bow ONLY?

Old 11-01-2010, 07:41 AM
Fork Horn

I am absolutely not a traditionalist. If Iowa allowed centerfires for anything beside Jan anterless I probably wouldn't even own a smoke pole! I enjoy them, but I enjoy hunting more. An inline muzzleloader is just the best tool that we are allowed to use here (way more accurate for me than even sabot firing shotguns) so I use it. In fact my dream MLer would be even further from "traditional:, smokeless and sabotless!
Old 11-01-2010, 09:24 PM
Fork Horn

So, unless I missed one, nobody really said they took up the bow or mz for the added challenge of shooting a lesser, more challenging weapon. I think at times we may all go out with one of our older sidehammers, or stickbows. But, mostly its just because we enjoy using them. Go to the sites where they wear the traditonal moniker and you will hear many say they do it for the challenge, and alot of them will say (some in private, some in public) that they really look down on the modern crowd for doing it the easy way. Many don't. I'm really glad that attitude didnt surface here. It seems like we're pretty much a shoot what you want and hunt the way you want and we all wish each other well in our hunting. It also looks like there was a pretty wide cross section of weapons and styles represented.

When I went back to the recurve, it wasnt to make things harder or more fair for the animals, it was because I grew up with them and love shooting them.

When I took up the mz, it was because I'd bought a mz hunting license, but didnt even own one at the time. Crazy? It was all that was left, that late in the year. On the way back to work after buying my tags, at a red light a club member pulled alongside me and offered his TC Renegade or Hawken for me to use. Other club members shared their knowledge and I fell in love with these firearms. Really had nothing to do with the added challenge. In time I learned to enjoy all firearms. I usually say I like shooting anything, even rubberbands off my fingers. But, we are all different. You obviously appreciate the added challenge. I think I enjoy trying to master the weapon well enough to hunt with it.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:28 PM
Banned

doesnt matter what you are shooting, if you are enjoying what you are shooting at the moment, thats all that matters.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by grizzly 2
So, unless I missed one, nobody really said they took up the bow or mz for the added challenge of shooting a lesser, more challenging weapon. I think at times we may all go out with one of our older sidehammers, or stickbows. But, mostly its just because we enjoy using them. Go to the sites where they wear the traditonal moniker and you will hear many say they do it for the challenge, and alot of them will say (some in private, some in public) that they really look down on the modern crowd for doing it the easy way. Many don't. I'm really glad that attitude didnt surface here. It seems like we're pretty much a shoot what you want and hunt the way you want and we all wish each other well in our hunting. It also looks like there was a pretty wide cross section of weapons and styles represented.

When I went back to the recurve, it wasnt to make things harder or more fair for the animals, it was because I grew up with them and love shooting them.

When I took up the mz, it was because I'd bought a mz hunting license, but didnt even own one at the time. Crazy? It was all that was left, that late in the year. On the way back to work after buying my tags, at a red light a club member pulled alongside me and offered his TC Renegade or Hawken for me to use. Other club members shared their knowledge and I fell in love with these firearms. Really had nothing to do with the added challenge. In time I learned to enjoy all firearms. I usually say I like shooting anything, even rubberbands off my fingers. But, we are all different. You obviously appreciate the added challenge. I think I enjoy trying to master the weapon well enough to hunt with it.
It was My Point Exactly, that's why I went to ML and BOW only, for the Challange of using (as you called it a Lesser Weapon) In My opening statement I said I lost the Fun and Personal Satisfaction of shooting a Deer at 300yds with a Rifle that did'nt even know I was there, he never had a chance to see me, wind me or hear me,,,,no challange.
I just feel better inside using what I do now, and having only 1 shot to do it. I Hunted PA with a Rifle, no more....and if and when our County passes the use of Rifles (and it's comming) I still wont use one. Again, Nothing against anyone who uses Rifles or Shotguns to Hunt, this is just a Personal Thing.
(BP)
Old 11-02-2010, 11:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ya know, I hadn't really thought about it till now. I have been using my muzzy during the Ohio shotgun season for the last 7 years now. I just had to sit here and count. LOL
So yea i guess i do use a bow and muzzy only. Thinkin back, the reason i switched over to the frontstuffer was because i liked the was it shot better that my rifle barreled 870. Not for the added challenge. Good thread BP!
Old 11-02-2010, 03:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by popeandyoungchaser
Ya know, I hadn't really thought about it till now. I have been using my muzzy during the Ohio shotgun season for the last 7 years now. I just had to sit here and count. LOL
So yea i guess i do use a bow and muzzy only. Thinkin back, the reason i switched over to the frontstuffer was because i liked the was it shot better that my rifle barreled 870. Not for the added challenge. Good thread BP!
Ya I did'nt mention that one....I liked how My MLer was more Devestating on Deer than My Shotgun, the Ol Mossburg Trophy Slugster sure could group em and shoot great, but them damn Saboted Bullets just wer'nt doing the Job I wanted them to, My MLer more than did the job so I went with it insted and never looked back.
(BP)
Old 11-02-2010, 06:46 PM
Fork Horn

I love bowhunting something fierce, I bought a recurve and practiced for 5-6 months everyday before bow season. I realized I could not ethically shoot at a deer with it about 3 weeks before the season started so I switched back to my compound. I just never got accurate enough with it. I guess I am a person that sticks with the gal he brought to the dance; I used a cougar magnum bow for 15 years before switching to a new matthews, I have owned the same mk85 for over 22 years, I only have one high power-my single shot Ruger number 1. I still love using each weapon to hunt with.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:28 PM
Spike

Muzzleloading has been added to my hunting because of the latest improvements in the rifles themselves. Bowhunting gets the majority of my time, the muzzleloader gives me a late season opportunity to shoot a buck of my choice - giving me a few more days days to enjoy the season. I guess wanting more hunting time makes me a traditional hunter!
Old 11-03-2010, 04:51 AM
Spike

An old Ben Pearson Cougar recurve and a .54 GPR for me.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:51 AM
Typical Buck

I use only bows and Muzzys and get weird looks during centerfire rifle season in which we can use muzzys. I do use a shotgun for turkey but it is a blackpowder Knight TK2000. I hunt think timber and rifles are a no go. I don't need to shoot 400 yards etc either so I do not have any rifles. I like 1 shot and smoke, if you miss so be it. It really forces you to concentrate on the kill shot. If I had a pump shotgun I may not focus and know I can get off another shot, doesn't seem fair to me. 1 shot levels the playing field in my opinion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.