Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Are You a (Modern Traditionalist) MLer and Bow ONLY? >

Are You a (Modern Traditionalist) MLer and Bow ONLY?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Are You a (Modern Traditionalist) MLer and Bow ONLY?

Old 10-28-2010, 08:38 PM
Fork Horn

I'm not a traditionalist. I don't really bow hunt, although I do really enjoy just target shooting with a bow. As far as muzzle loading season, I do it mainly to be able to hunt those extra 2 weeks. Those two weeks are my favorite time of the season and I don't mind using the muzzle loaders, however, I'm a rifle man at heart. 90% of my shooting I do in the off season is rifle shooting, and it's just what I enjoy. I enjoy the muzzle loader too, but I don't enjoy having to do all the work cleaning it right after shooting it. If I could use a rifle during the muzzle loading season I probably would, and just use my muzzle loaders at the range. However, since I can't, I don't mind using my muzzle loader.

As for shotguns, I'm not a big shotgun fan, but I do hunt with them some.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

just muzzleloader and bow here, do have my 22 rimfire and my 9mm for home defense,
Old 10-28-2010, 11:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I enjoy hunting more with bow and muzzy, but I do use a rifle during gun season sometimes. I reload my own shells and like to see how different bullets preform. If I'm hunting in the woods I usally carry one of my muzzies, if I set up on a big field I carry a rifle.
Old 10-29-2010, 02:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Not really, I had to drive my truck for this hunt...

Never heard of an inline or compound being "traditional"...

Old 10-29-2010, 03:37 AM
Typical Buck

I bow, blackpowder and rifle hunt; whatever is in season. One day we may look back and remember when rifles were traditional instead of laser guns.

I have only ever taken one deer with a bow and one with a muzzleloader. I hit a second one with my ML last year and it go away. So I scoped the gun and have dialed it in with several trips to the range this year. I will most likely use it even in rifle season until I get one with it. I am having a blast using it and may stick with it through the rest of the season.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ADVWannabee
One day we may look back and remember when rifles were traditional instead of laser guns.
Agreed. When muskets became common, I’m sure people were stoked about having them and weren’t too concerned about it not being done the way it was done previously (recurve, spear, loincloth, whatever). I think it is cool if that is the reason you bow or ML hunt, it’s just not my reason for doing it. I guess I’m just an opportunistic SOB; I am hunting with a ML this season to get in on the pre-rut action. Not that I don’t enjoy shooting the ML. Though it has given me frustrations…as with just about EVERY firearm I have owned…it has been thoroughly enjoyable. But it really gets expensive when searching for that magic load. I wish there was a gun shop that just had bins of bullets and sabots you could buy individually. That way you could buy 4 bullets of this, 4 bullets of that, etc.

Even though a centerfire rifle has a longer range than a muzzy, it doesn’t mean you have to use it to out to its farthest range (though I will say that shooting a deer at 500 yards is no easy task, just not something I’m interested in). For me, it’s about firepower (capacity) and the ability to reload quickly (even in the case of a single shot, compared to a ML). I would be pissed if I shot a doe with my muzzy and for some reason it didn’t spook ol’ mossy horns and he came down the trail next. Oh, and it’s about knowing without a doubt that my next shot will fly within an inch of where I put it (i.e. not having to worry about the many variables that can affect accuracy with a ML). But anyway, regardless of your weapon of choice, YOU decide how challenging to make your hunt with the restrictions you put on yourself. Though I will fully concede that there probably isn’t anything in hunting as hard as having to draw a bow at close range to your target, especially on the ground.

As for shotgun hunting, lots of people use slugs, so it doesn’t necessarily equate to just blasting away with buckshot. Although, if I am still-hunting, I am torn between using slugs or buckshot in case I jump something within 30 yards. Don’t get the impression that I crash through the forest hoping to jump something and just blast away at it. I slink very carefully, but you don’t always see deer before they see you, and, to me, it’s very exciting to jump one at close range. Tightly patterned buckshot gives you just a little more margin for error, in that circumstance, than a slug does. And I still believe in one shot, one kill.

I have been thinking about getting a bow, but for some reason, hunting deer in warm weather is totally unappealing to me. In fact, on Virginia’s opening day for ML, it’s supposed to reach 64 degrees. Yuck. At least there will be a low of 37 the night before.

Last edited by 7.62NATO; 10-29-2010 at 06:01 AM.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:50 AM
Fork Horn

For years I hunted strictly rifle and like some the challenge disappeared. Six years ago I took up the bow. Love the extra time in the bush, seeing more deer up close and taking deer at close range. Last year my hunting time was limited and I wasn't successful with a bow or a rifle. After much debate I purchased a muzzleloader to take advantage of the additional season. I was successful, but also hooked. Now I have every intention in using my muzzleloader in the regular gun season. Besides, needing to shot past 150 yards... 1-2 times out of all the deer I've taken!
Old 10-30-2010, 08:22 AM
Fork Horn

I hunt with compound bow, inline ML and CF Rifle - also shotgun once in a while. Whatever season it is, if I want to hunt, I reach for whatever weapon suits me and the situation.
Breechplug said:
OK,,,,,,I know My Compound Bow is No Recurve and My Inline MLer is no Smoothbore Frontstuffer so Please no Comments on how there really not Traditional.
Sorry - but I have to comment. There's absolutely nothing wrong with what you choose to do or call it, and I hope you always have the opportunity to use your weapon of choice. But I always find it interesting when people choose to decide that a certain period of history is "traditional" or "modern", or whatever title you want to give it. It reminds me of some folks who think that the best music was written in a certain era, and everything before and after is junk. Pretty amusing, if you ask me.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:47 AM
Fork Horn

I hunt with everything and anything, depends on mood. Archery I use long bow, recurve, compound. Muzzleloader I have side hammer guns, inlines, anything from round ball to sabot bullets. and of course centerfire rifles have lever 30-30 and bolt action .308. Love them all but traditional archery and side hammer muzzleloaders are my favorites.
Old 10-30-2010, 07:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

The bow is where It's at. But I still like to use my ML, and might start up the sidelock gig as I've confidence in my inline ML to over 200 yards anyways. I mostly enjoy the long seasons, 1 month ML, 3.5 months archery (overlapping in december) and the challenge. It's nothing with a rifle. If I can see it, I can have it. That lost its appeal to bow and ML, though I still embrace longer range target shooting with centerfires.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.