Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Are You a (Modern Traditionalist) MLer and Bow ONLY? >

Are You a (Modern Traditionalist) MLer and Bow ONLY?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Are You a (Modern Traditionalist) MLer and Bow ONLY?

Old 10-30-2010, 09:16 PM
Fork Horn

Up until a year ago, my favorite hunting was with the recurve. I remember hunting a buck hard with it. Went into gun season and I could have taken him easy, but he was out of bow range and it just didnt seem right, so I let him go.

Now the fingers are just too unreliable on the string, so I bought a compound. Much easier, but still alot of enjoyment there.

As to the shotgun being more effective than the mz, I havent touched my scoped, rifled barrel pumps since I picked up my scoped Knight Elite. It is way more deadly, so much so that I about need a spotting scope sometimes to cleanly id some of the deer for maturity. But I really like hunting with it, probably because I grew up in a centerfire state and now live in a shotgun,mz,handgun state. Sort of brings back some of the memories. I really wish Illinois would allow some of the old rimmed cases. I'd really love to hunt this old 1967 Canadian Centennial Commemorative 30-30 I have with a peep sight and that long 26" octagonal barrel. Used to use it in a steel plate buffalo shoot they used to have around here. My favorite shot was the chicken, standing at 200 yards.

Traditional?? That term has been beat to death on the traditional bow sites. alot of us hate to even use it and refer to out stickbow hunting as Classical Archery. Anything but traditional which only came about with the advent of the compound.

I keep eyeballing the old TC Hawken in the basement. Wish I'd bought one of the shorter green mountain barrels for it years ago. The grandkids are getting ready to start hunting, and that would be a great way to start and learn the value of your "one shot, better make it count" style of hunting. Something I bet most of us all agree with. Good hunting to ya, Craig
Old 10-31-2010, 01:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Never heard of an inline or compound being "traditional"...

Kind of have to agree with this.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:54 AM
Typical Buck

Muzzleloaders and bow here. Have hunted this way for years and see no use in changing now. I usually harvest a buck with a bow and then hunt does with my Accura or Optima .50cals.
Old 10-31-2010, 04:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SteveBNy
The OP didn't want to entertain such comments or debate, but I must also agree. I don't think it develops much sense of community among hunters when we're bestowing titles upon ourselves, particularly when there's a good chance that title means something else to another hunter.

How would the OP feel if a CF shooter who doesn't own an AR-15 or clone called him/herself a "traditional shooter"?

There's a good chance that I and my compound are looked at the same way I look at someone carrying an inline ML when I'm carrying a flintlock. I'm certainly not going to kick sand in a recurve shooter's eye by appointing myself to his fraternity. It annoys me a slight degree when an inline shooter suggests his weapon is as "traditional" as my FL is. The OP might do well to toss the labels and concentrate on hunting.
Old 10-31-2010, 04:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SteveBNy
I guess neither one of you guy's read my opening statement where I said I know My Compound Bow is No Recurve and that My Inline is No Old Frontstuffer so let's not go there, but ya both did
I agree My Compound and Inline are No Spears, but there Traditional enough for me.
(BP)
Old 10-31-2010, 04:33 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Breechplug
I guess neither one of you guy's read my opening statement where I said I know My Compound Bow is No Recurve and that My Inline is No Old Frontstuffer so let's not go there, but ya both did
I agree My Compound and Inline are No Spears, but there Traditional enough for me.
(BP)
Have to agree BP "Much ado about nothing"
We are all Sportsmen and should stick together, it matters not what our weapon of choice is.
Old 10-31-2010, 04:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

(BP)

When you mention "True Traditionalist" and harvesting the way your Forefathers did in the opening paragraph you opened the door to be corrected...

MY Forefathers didn't used either a compound or inline...

Use what you want, it's America...
Old 10-31-2010, 05:28 AM
Typical Buck

I have never killed a deer with anything other than a muzzleloader until a few weeks ago when I got my first bow kill.

shotgun is for skeet and dove

don't own a modern rifle except for a couple old .22
Old 10-31-2010, 09:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

(BP)

I did read it - just would feel funy laying claim to a term fairly well accepted by others. I hunt with a recurve, compound and inline - have no idea what that makes me.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

Although most of my larger animals are killed with a muzzleloader, i'm far from a traditionalist. All of my predator hunting and about 90 percent of my small game hunting is with a center fire rifle. My turkey hunting is done with a shotgun.

In a year i fire roughly 200-300 rounds through my muzzeloader rifles. Usually kill two to four deer and 20-30 hogs with a muzzleloader in a year.

i fire 10,000-15,000 rounds of centerfire rifle and pistol ammo at the target range every year: Used to shoot a lot more than i do now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.