Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Best twist for Lee Reals >

Best twist for Lee Reals

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Best twist for Lee Reals

Old 10-28-2010, 07:12 PM
Dominant Buck

I use a home made lube..

Beeswax 2 oz.
Castor Oil 8 oz.
Murphy's Oil Soap 1 oz.

Heat beeswax in a double-boiler system. In a separate container, add the Castor oil and Murphy's oil soap together and mix it well. (cold). Once the beeswax is melted, swap the Castor oil can in the pot of water with the beeswax. Add the beeswax to the oils. It will clump up. Stir with a Popsicle stick or spoon as the mixture heats up. When it fully melts there will be a scum that floats to the top and just won't mix in.

Be patient. DO NOT COOK THE MIXTURE. Once the solids are dissolved there is no need to heat further. Skim the scum off. Remove the mix from the heat. FINAL STEP: Add a teaspoon of Murphy's Oil Soap and stir vigorously. This last step makes the lube frothy and smooth - really adds to the appearance; though it doesn't seem to matter to the function of the lube. Carefully pour the hot mixture into waiting tins. I use Altoid tins. Allow to cool a half hour.

Another Great Solid Lube...

4 ounces of Castor Oil * you can buy this in 4 ounce bottles at Wall Mart..

1 ounce of bees wax melted

100 grains of liquid or solid Alox * I like to cut the solid and weigh out what I need Then melt it down.

I use the cheap micro wave dishes ... Glad makes them.. and I melt the beeswax and Alox together after it has been weighed. Once it is liquid and hot.. add the liquid Castor oil and stir that together. It makes an excellent patch and conical lube.

These are the two I use....
Old 10-29-2010, 05:19 AM
Typical Buck

That's great.Thanks Cay. You are a Straight Shooter,Pard.
Old 12-17-2018, 01:11 PM
Spike

Default 50 cal. 320gr. Lee r.e.a.l.

My experiance with the 320gr 50 cal was they were very accurate at 50yds. with 80gr. Pyrodex RS eqiv.. Didn't hit target at 100 yds. Checked at 75 yards and they were key-holing. Speed at 80 grs. Pyrodex at muzzle 1500fps. Upped charge to 120 grs. and got tiny 3 shot group at 100 yds of less than 1" with 2 touching. 120gr. Speed 1840fps. 150 gr. Pyr. RS gave 1950 fps and same accuracy. My gun has 3x9x40 scope, 24" barrel, shotgun primer, 1/28 twist.. Cheap $130 CVA Buckhorn Magnum.
Old 12-17-2018, 01:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Soft lead REAL+ that kinda speed= massive barrel leading. I would have to see that shoot worth a hoot to believe it.