Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Shockwave

Old 10-22-2010, 01:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

I really like their accuracy. Haven't had a chance to use any on game yet. All my ML deer in the past were shot with MaxiHunters and saboted XTPs. Oh yeah and PRBs.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:51 PM
Spike

i have had great success with the yellow tipped shockwaves,never needed a follow up shot.have shot a doe a few years back with the bonded shockwave,shot her in the neck an found the bullet lodged beside her hip bone,polymer tip missing an just barely bent the top of the bullet.....no expansion at all.hope you find a bullet u like an performs well for you an good luck this year.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:58 PM
Fork Horn

I have went back to my pet load of 110gr loose 777 and a 295gt powerbelt I love that load
Old 10-24-2010, 06:42 AM
Typical Buck

I've shot about 5 deer with Shockwaves and SST's. The first was a buck that ran about 60 yards after a passthrough lung shot at 50 yards. He didn't leave much of a blood trail, but it wasn't neccessary. About 5 minutes later, I shot a doe in the shoulder at 30 yards and she took about 5 steps before calling it quits. The third was a 50 yard shot at a quartering-towards-me buck and he only went about 20 yards. #4 was a yearling shoulder shot that only went 20 yards. And lastly was another young one that I stalked up on in a field that I shot looking straight at me right in the breast bone at about 15 yards. She didn't make it into the woods more than 10 yards.

I'm not totally impressed with the wound channel that these bullets leave, but from what I have seen they are more than adequate at ranges inside 50 yards where most of my shots are. Out past that I'm not sure what they do, but they are very accurate at 100 out of my CVA.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:15 PM
Fork Horn

for me they are great on paper but suck on deer. i have lost 2 bucks after watching them fall -only to get up after my feet hit the ground from my climber. xtp's from now on.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:00 PM
Fork Horn

Backwoods, so what your saying is the shockwave's (yellow 250gr) don't penetrate they just expand before they exit, but during expansion they don't do any damage?? So in this case would they be more effective at longer range where the velocity drops off?? Now you've got me thinking...

I am curious as this is the bullet I have chosen. Problem is I haven't had the opportunity to cut one loose on game. I have shot into the banks at the sand pit and repeatedly find a large hunk of mushroomed lead/copper. I would have thought that they would cut right through an animal. It would be nice to see some photo evidence of your case.
Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:53 AM
Fork Horn

IMHO, most people find Shockwaves to be one of the most accurate bullets out there. On game preformance is debated as much as the Powerbelts. For me, 5 deer have fallen to the Shockwave yellow tip with factory supplied black sabot out of my TC Triumph and 2 pellets of 777. None of the bloodtrails were great and most would be classified as marginal. All deer were hit in boiler room and none made it more then 50 yards.

Are there better bullets for on game preformance. Most would say yes, especially if you require a large, easy to follow bloodtrail. For me the Shockwave is accurate and does the job enough, where a large bloodtrail is not needed.

I still would like to try the Barnes T-EZ when the Shockwaves run out.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:42 AM
Typical Buck

Ive Taken 2 deer w/ yellow tip one dropped on spot, second a lung shot in snow didnt leave a drop of blood thought Id missed but i know those bullets are tack drivers out of the omega so I followed tracks recovered deer 65 yds. The shot was a touch high (top of lungs)thus blood simply collected in bottom of the chest I decided to shoot the hornaday xtp Mags this yr . Did a bunch of testing in wet sand and other mediums expansion was perfect with nearly 95 to 98% weight retention and accuracy dont hurt none either 2" groups at 100 and a touch over 3" groups at 150 yds. I know a lot of guys on here shoot them and I havent heard anything bad about them and in bulk not very expensive so summer practive is same as hunting load