Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Shockwave

Old 10-22-2010, 12:14 AM
Fork Horn

Default Shockwave

I see so many people talking about shockwave bullets but I don't get it why there so popular I've onle killed 5 deer with a muzzelloader 2 with shockwaves 3 with powerbelts. Both the ones with shockwaves had to be shot twice all 3 with powerbelts took only one each... I was shooting 100gr of 777 loose and a 250gr shockwave both were H/L shots and the bullets just exploded on impact and didn't exit barely tore anything up inside. The first was at 30 yards the secont at 50 I don't like the shockwaves at alll... Am I the only one? My load I use now is 110gr of 777loose with a 295gr powerbelt aerotip I've killed 3 deer with that loading all one shot kills only one ran (about 30 yards) the others dorped. One at 50 yards one at 80 yards and one at 130 yards. 80 yard one was the runner... So am I the only one here with shockwave problems
Old 10-22-2010, 02:49 AM
Fork Horn

I've tried shockwaves in both of my knights and they will not group but other people get good accuracy from them. I have shot some deer with them and all shots were thru and thru. Good expansion if the deer is out there but if close I feel they don't expand.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:04 AM
Typical Buck

I have read here somewhere that the Shockwaves are rebadged Hornady SSTs, which is what I am planning to use this year. My Knight is grouping very well with them, but the TC not quite as good. But the grouping isn't as important as bullet performance, so I hope they are good hunting bullets. If they aren't, what is the best hunting bullet?
Old 10-22-2010, 05:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Backwoods7
So am I the only one here with shockwave problems
Just a few threads down is a discussion of the problems with the sst, which is more or less the very same bullet. You should check that thread out.

The issues you write of, are not uncommon, and you certainly are not the only one.

There are so many bullets available that work better on critters. You should give them a try. The Nosler is a better performer on critter, and is less money than the shockwave. The Deep Curl will work better than a shockwave on a critter, and are less money too. The XTP will kill deer handily, and are also less money than the shockwave. The choice is yours. Naturally, you will need to purchase the sabot separately.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:40 AM
Dominant Buck

In all fairness to Shockwaves and SST's... they have taken a ton of deer, elk, moose, bear, etc. I have read posts from hunters that used them, and pictures of wound channels, and expansion of the bullet and was impressed to say the least. Why they did not work for you, I have no idea. But if you have no faith in them, then by all means do not use them.

Most rifles find them very accurate. I have not shot an animal with them so I can not tell you hunting experience. I have done penetration tests with them on the range and they were very impressive. Would I hunt with them??? Sure.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

I shoot Shock Waves I use the yellow tips for practice [which is what they are designed for and the blue tips for hunting [bonded] never had a problem.

Last edited by lemoyne; 10-22-2010 at 05:09 PM.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Killed my last 4deer w shockwaves, they group well using a MMP sabot but my mine leave the muzzle of my savage at about 2300 fps so they are doing at 100 yds, what other ML are doing a the muzzle, so I dont have any problem w/ expansion.
Attached Thumbnails Shockwave-shockwave003.jpg  
Old 10-22-2010, 10:57 AM
Typical Buck

I have shot 9 deer with them in 3 different guns. 5 dropped on the spot, 3 ran only 20 - 30 yards before their brain finally realized that the pump station is no longer in production. Blood trails are amazing even though I never really needed them.

1 of the 9 actually had to be shot twice. Somehow I hit my rear sight from my truck to stand and spined a doe. She dropped on the spot in some short weeds. After waiting my 20 minutes I climbed down and my heart sank when I saw she was still alive. Not the bullets fault, but not making a clean swift kill really bothered me. Just hope the spine shot removed any pain she could have been in. She never made a sound as she laid there.

I use the 250 in my buckhorn .50 cal 90gr. Pyrodex RS
250 in my Hawken .50 cal 90gr. of Pyrodex RS
and 200's in my .45 Elkhorn 90gr. Pyrodex RS

I have seen where the tip will blowout in hotter loads. I use to shoot 120gr.of Pyrodex in my .45 and while it grouped great, I did find the tip of one embedded in the skin of a doe I took at 30 yards on entrance side about 3 inches from hole. I backed down to 90gr. and still have great groups less shoulder pain, and still drop deer with some awesome results.

I have had great succes with them.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:27 PM
Spike

Backwoods7

From what i know about shockwaves the nonbonded are for small to medium game with thin skin and BONDED IS FOR HEAVIERGAME WITHTHICKER SKIN.BOTH SHOULD PERFOM THE SAME ON PAPER AS POWDER/BULLET WEIGHT ARE THE SAME.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:06 PM
Fork Horn

just don't like em they let me down I was shooting the yellow tip ones is that the problem?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.