Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Keeping a cap on nipple >

Keeping a cap on nipple

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Keeping a cap on nipple

Old 10-17-2010, 03:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Keeping a cap on nipple

OK guys I got a question. I have an old Knight ML. I think it may be a model 85 but that don't matter. It used a #11 percussion cap as the ignition source. Off the bench it was no big deal but I took it out yesterday afternoon on a hunt and when I got to where I was going to sit, I c0cked the bolt, unscrewed the 'nut' and placed on safety. After a while I happened to look down an the nipple was laying in the striker on the bolt face.
Any trick to keeping the nipple on? I was thinking that I should unscrew the bolt nut until it is just off the cap. Opinions?
Old 10-17-2010, 03:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

As with the ladies, a little pinch will sometimes get the job done.
Old 10-17-2010, 04:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well I think it must be the cap that's falling off not the nipple. Sounds like the caps are to big for the nipple, could it be some one stuck a # 10 nipple and you are using a #11 cap. If the cap and nipple are matched up it should not be that kind of a problem.
I always put a bit of wax on the out side of the nipple to water proof but that is with a proper fit. pinching them as mentioned above should work but will not provide any kind of seal in bad weather.
Old 10-17-2010, 04:30 PM
Dominant Buck

Replace the nipple. Sometimes people will reduce the diameter of them to make caps slip on. That's all fine and good for the range but not the field. I use a stainless steel nipple. And most of them I have to use a straight line capper and really press hard to get the cap onto the nipple. It will stay there for ever if I let it or until I fire it.
Old 10-17-2010, 05:11 PM
Fork Horn

Back in the day when I had a sidelock that the caps liked to fall off, I'd just pinch them slightly before putting them on. Never had a problem again.
On the White that I now have, the caps fit so tightly that they require a knife to remove if they haven't been shot.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Are you sure you are seating them all the way, so they "bottom out" on the nipple? Many just push them on with finger pressure, and the cap is not all the way down onto the nipple. As others have said, my renegade requires me to carefully lower the hammer onto the nipple and gently but firmly press down until the cap seats fully. I have to pry them off with a knife to remove them.

Try RWS caps if you can get them. They are the most potent cap I have used. They are slightly undersized, the label actually reads 10.75, not 11.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

I guess I will have to pinch them a bit before I put them on. I checked the nipple and my 2 spare nipples and they are all the same size (T/C nipples for #11 cap). I have both CCI and Winchester caps and both are loose on these nipples. I did try pinching one and putting it on the nipple. Then I repeatedly bumped the buttstock against the palm of my hand (unloaded firearm) and could not get the cap to fall off.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Replace the Nipple or try a different Cap. But I have had this same problem when I used to shoot my 50cal Poor Boy, the cap would fall off and No Spare Nipples,,,,,,,so I just sprayed the Caps with ($1 a Can Clear Coat Spray Paint) From Wal-Mart, not only did the Cap stay on but it also Weatherproofed it. I did a test and put the Caps sprayed with the Clearcoat in a Bowl of Water for a few Hours, then tried them, they all Fired!
(BP)