Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
When swabbing at the range do you use a brush? >

When swabbing at the range do you use a brush?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

When swabbing at the range do you use a brush?

Old 10-19-2010, 10:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

Final clean up for me is always soap and water with a good flush.

I have on occasion done initial clean up after a range session with very wet alcohol patches followed by oil so that I could let the gun sit for a while before final cleaning. But that's alway's followed by soap and water within a day or two.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
Final clean up for me is always soap and water with a good flush.

I have on occasion done initial clean up after a range session with very wet alcohol patches followed by oil so that I could let the gun sit for a while before final cleaning. But that's alway's followed by soap and water within a day or two.
Our hunting season is 2 weeks, and I'm probably going to be doing at least a little shooting during that, or at least I hope so, but I usually don't bring the gun home with me, and just leave it at the camp. I won't have access to enough water to clean it with for those two weeks, so what's the best solution to use to clean it after firing it? I would of course give it a full cleaning after the two weeks is over, but during that time, I don't know that I will be able to.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:13 PM
Fork Horn

Pick-up a jug of windshield washer fluid (blue), should be plenty for a good cleaning, at the camp.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

It doesn't take all that much water hometheaterman. A quart or so in a cut off plastic jug (bleach/laundry detergent/milk/two liter bottle/etc.) is all you really need for a thorough job.