Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

too many

Old 10-14-2010, 10:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default too many

I would like to know why we have to have so many black powder guns. More than likely if any of us were to choose just one of the many we own we would do just fine without the others, I would also like to know what the average number of black powder rifles the members here own. I have four myself. And I still want more!
Old 10-14-2010, 10:52 PM
Banned

Maybe to many but each rifle gets its share of love and usage. Flintlocks and sidelocks are fun to shoot no matter what brand, inlines are fun as well. I could get by with one but.... It wouldnt feel right.

I am considering selling one to fund a Mosin Negant "not sure if the spelling is right but it looks like a nice rifle!"
Old 10-14-2010, 11:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

gezz md,

i own 4 2 inlines 2 sidelocks. I am no where close to some people.

my christmas list is starting to be made. an sidelock pistol lol

each gun brings its own challenge. what powders it likes, what projectile. it is like an drug. :P

Last edited by corey012778; 10-14-2010 at 11:30 PM.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:04 AM
mountaineer magic

My wife was in the basement with me the other day and she asked how many I had. I said I don't exactly know for sure. She said is it over 5. I said I don't know for sure. She says"It must be over 5 because if it was less than 5 you would know how many you had." Don't know how sound her logic is but she is probably right.

Last edited by mountaineer magic; 10-24-2010 at 06:04 AM.

Old 10-15-2010, 05:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

My idea of a good MZ battery:

1. Top of the line or custom built 50 or 54 caliber traditional rifle in either flint lock or percussion lock. Open sights.

2. Modern top of the line inline rifle with a top quality scope.

3. A nice top grade or custom built 32 or 36 caliber small game rifle. Percussion or flint. Depending on what you like.

That's it. If I did not have those three then I would sell every one I have in order to be able to fill this battery first. Personally I would not want five or six mid or lower grade rifles-I instead would prefer one top grade or custom rifle in the place of six.

Personally I have the three above. Then I have some other ones in the safe that have not been shot for years. Probably should just get rid of them.

Too each his own. But I would never buy six cheap scopes, I would much rather prefer one top quality scope. And that goes for rifles also. Tom.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

The problem is, they're just too darn fun to shoot! I feel like a teenager again when I get my MLs out. No other weapon, gun or bow, gives me that enjoyment.

I stopped buying MLs a year ago. I then sold the ones which were not 'needed' in my opinion. I only have 3 plus my 1858 Revolver now. Now I have a more difficult time finding time to get to the range than I do deciding which ones to shoot.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:00 AM
Dominant Buck

There are so many models to get people to purchase more rifles. If each company produced one or even two rifles only, many of us would have a model of all the rifles out there. So there is no reason to purchase more. But if they keep making new models there is always that itch to get the new model. Just like cars.

I personally own far too many rifles. I should sell off a bunch of them but every time I think of the ones I do not need, I go shoot them instead and then they become dear to me all over ... So I guess I am stuck with them.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Let's see:

Knight Vision .50 cal.
NEF Sidekick .50 cal.

InvestArms Great Plains Rifle (FL) .50 cal.

InvestArms Hawkins Carbine .50 cal.
Cabalas' Hawkins Carbine .54 cal.
T/C Big Boar .58 cal.
T/C New Englander 12 Ga.
Traditions Crocket .32 cal.
Zoli Zuave .58 cal.

Uberti 1858 Remmie .44 cal.

Now I got some that I shoot BP cartridge only:

Pedersoli Sharps 1874 .45-70 cal.
Springfield Trapdoor (Orig.) .45-70 cal.
H&R 1871 .38-55 cal.

That should hold me for a while I think. I like the smell and smoke!

: barmy:
Old 10-15-2010, 06:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ruger Black Powder Revolver 45 caliber
Custom Hawkins 54 caliber
TC Hawkins 45 and 54 calibers
Under hammer 45 caiber
Renagade 54 caliber
Omega 50 caliber
Triumph 50 caliber
Endeavor 50 caliber
and I just sold System One with 50 and 54 Barrels , Thunderhawk 50 caliberand Knight Bighorn.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

Let's see:

IN-LINES
Omega X7 .50
Lyman Mustang .50
Remington 700ML .50 (the Newbie, awaiting arrival of a nipple)

SIDELOCKS
.45 Renegade (scoped/GM barrel)
.50 Renegade (scoped/GM barrel)
.54 Renegade (scoped/GM barrel)
.50 Hawken (peep sight/GM barrel)
.58 Hawken (peep sight/GM barrel)
.50 Pedersoli Cub (currently up for sale)
.32 Pedersoli Frontier (awaiting arrival of lock to convert to flint)
.54 Great Plains flintlock (Lyman peep sight)
12 GA Pedersoli side by side
.40 rusty & out of action home built longrifle (awaiting restoration one day)

ON THE WAY
.45 Knight Elite

I have either too many or not quite enough, not sure which.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.