HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Type of Powder? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/33190-type-powder.html)

workhorse 07-13-2003 06:42 PM

Type of Powder?

Curious to hear what type of powder all of you recommend. I' m shooting a 50 caliber hunterbolt with 26 inch barrel, using either buffalo bullets, or hornady great plains conicals, and I' ll be using loose powder, not pellets.

So, given that, do you prefer clear shot, clean shot, triple seven, or pyrodex?

cayugad 07-13-2003 08:51 PM

RE: Type of Powder?

I shoot traditional sidelocks. I started out on black powder before all the other stuff was even made. I have sense used Pyrodex RS Pyrodex Select, and clean shot. I actually liked the black powder the most, but this was the worst for cleaning. Pyrodex Select and Clean Shot shoot fine. Clean Shot is a snap to clean up after. One of these days, I am going to get some of that triple 7 and give that a try and see how I like it. Until then I will keep burning up all the other stuff I have in stock.

RKenSparc 07-14-2003 07:07 AM

Right the " in" powder is Triple 7. Try in a 2fg cut and, if you have a load worked out reduce it by about 10 grains, simply becuase T7 is hotter than the other powders. T7 cleans up easy and seems to be very consitant. Disadvantage is cost. You will pay more for this powder.

I love shooting real black powder, but only do it in my traditional styled guns, BP' s only advantage is its low ignition point, but the other powders are very reliable even with a no. 11 caps, so ignition problems usually are not the fault of the powder. Clean up is not hard, but BP produces a lot of fouling, and is VERY corrosive even in stainless steel barrels.

Pyrodex, is a proven substitute, and in my opinion is very similar to BP. It produces a lot fouling and is also corrosive, but less than BP.

I would start with T7 or Pyrodex in your gun. Either will work great, and going with loose powder will let you work up the perfect load.

whitetails & muskies 07-14-2003 08:30 PM

I was shooting pellets and will be elk hunting in CO this fall and can only use loose powder. Started shooting at 95 gr 777, 2FG with 348 gr Powerbelts and have it coming in real sweet. I' ll be playing around with subtle charges over the next few weeks, but I' m impressed with what I' m seeing....from consitency to ease of cleaning. Hope to settle in on an even 100 gr, then bust that big old boy right through the shoulders!!

eldeguello 07-16-2003 05:23 AM

Although it is harder to clean up after shooting, I have had my best results with Pyrodex as opposed to any of the other substitutes, and I' ve tried them all! Otherwise, I prefer plain old black powder, especially in flinters. If you use a substitute in a flintlock, you have to put 5 to 10 grains of BP in the barrel first, as well as in the pan, for proper ignition.

kevin1 07-23-2003 08:20 AM

workhorse ,
Triple 7 all the way .

RIStrutStopper 07-23-2003 09:03 AM

I' m new to ML, and all I' ve used so far is Triple 7 loose powder. I have had pretty decent results and see no need to change. Clean-up is easy and the only rotten egg smell I have to deal with is from the guy next to me at the range...