Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Traditions Inline 209 load help >

Traditions Inline 209 load help

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Traditions Inline 209 load help

Old 10-13-2010, 05:07 AM
Spike

Default Traditions Inline 209 load help

Well, I have been shooting my Inline 209 with some 295G powerbelts and 2 pellets of White hotz. I have a Nikon Prostaff mounted to her. I am shooting all over the place. What is a load recommendatio for this gun? I would like to start shoot accuratley. Thanks.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:18 AM
Typical Buck

Try different bullets.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:52 AM
Dominant Buck

Try some 250 grain XTP's in a black Harvester Sabot with them White hots. Also it could be the powder that is causing your problems. Personally I would get a jug of Pyrodex RS and try that again with 90 grains of loose Pyrodex RS powder.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

My Genesis, made by Traditions, shoots FPBs real well. I use 100gr loose Pyrodex. Can't vouch for that powder, never tried it. That should not be the cause of your problem unless it went bad somehow. Are you getting consistent ignition and felt recoil?

PowerBelts usually shoot pretty well for most guys. I've heard complaints about them fragmenting with heavier loads (like 100 grains) on close shots, but accuracy is usually good.

I'd first look into a scope/mounting issue. Seems the most likely cause to me. Do your shooting at 50 yds, with a really solid rest until you find the problem. As always, be as consistent as possible in your loading procedures.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:51 AM
Spike

The scope, rings and mounts are solid. no budging or movement. I will try some different bullets soon.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Still could be the scope. If you throw another scope on it, do a quick bore sight, you should know within a few bullets if the scope is good. If you get a poor group it is the bullet and/or powder. But it's probably easier to try a different bullet first, especially if you have something else to try already.

If you like a full-bore bullet, the FPBs come in 300 and 350 gr. I like not needing a sabot, and they perform on deer.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:39 AM
Typical Buck

All my inlines are Traditions (Lightnings) and shoot excellent with 250gr Shockwave bullets with 100gr Pyrodex pellets or loose 110gr Pyrodex. I have never shot any of the new powders on the market and never intend to, keep in mind some of my inlines are late 90s and early 2000s and the new powders were not out when these were built so no new powders for me, just my rule. This works great for me and why change it. I have to believe it may be the powder pushing the bullet too hard or scope mounting issues. Mine are scoped and locked down and hit where I aim. Check your process for loading, in order to get good consistent groups you must do everything exactly the same. Loading and seating the bullet, placing the gun in the same spot on the rest, proper grip etc.. That is not easy but if you can get close the groups will get tighter. Different bullets, powders, primers all play different with one another and unfortunately every single gun is different with those items. Your best efforts would be try different items for that gun. I tried numerous loads of Pyrodex and bullets and mine really love the Shockwaves and 100-110gr of powder. I highly recommend those for Traditions inlines. Good Luck.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Check your scope first. If that is fine, try this load:
80 grains T7 or Pyrodex
240 or 250 grain XTP
My buddy & his son use this in their Traditions inlines, groups are about 1 inch at 75 yards.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:28 PM
Spike

The last time at the range with the said load. First shot was with a clean and oiled barrel and on the target just an inch to the left. Next 2 shots were inline with target, but about 4" to the left. I then cleaned the gun and then it shot even further left and low. I dont think it is a scope issue. Everything is even and tight with it.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well if you must use pellets try Pyrodex, you may find that pellets won't get it some times they require a load that you can not get with pellets.
Second some guns won't shoot PB's they are considered the worst possible bullet for deer by the majority here any how if you put a decent load behind them they are liable to fragment on contact if you stay below 80 gr where they work best they have a rainbow trajectory.
For bullets the one most liable to be accurate is the Shock Wave I have never seen a gun that was any good at all that would not shoot one of the shock waves.
The Gold Dot or Deep Curl 250 gr is a good one that is excellent for deer.
The Lehigh bullets are very good and the old faithful XTP's have taken many deer.
There is the possibility that it is a mechanical problem but I would check it out with a package of 250 gr Shock Waves and either some loose or a box of Pyrodex pellets maybe a box of 50 gr and a box of 30 gr by using different combinations you can get 80 - 90 - 100- 120 which should cover the load ranges well enough to find out what it takes.
WHAT EVER YOU DO STAY WITH IN THE RECOMMENDED LOADS FOR THAT GUN.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.