Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
scope or no scope? Please >

scope or no scope? Please

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

scope or no scope? Please

Old 10-11-2010, 08:43 AM
Spike

Angry scope or no scope? Please

Hello , I'm new to hunting and I live in Mass. My first bow season was to start Oct.18th and been practicing day and night with research and practice and have become very good with my groupings. Well I was in an auto accident three weeks ago and broke 2 vertabrae (L-3 L-4) so bow is out and it is killing me! Shotgun season is next and don't think I'll be well enough, so I'm hopeing I'll make black powder. My question is to put a scope on my T/C Omega or just use the fiber sights? I also have a 40mm red dot sight I use on my shot gun. Due to my mobility issues I will either be in a ground blind or try to get up in my tree stand. Any advice would be great from my fellow sportsman. Thanks for listening! Allen ([email protected])
Old 10-11-2010, 08:49 AM
Spike

It all depends on your state laws, check them to see if scopes are permitted, if so its all a matter of personal preferance. I have had blackpowder guns both scoped and unscoped, and every deer or hog i have killed has been with open sights. but then, I also sold my inline and went to a caplock, so it all depends on what you feel most comfortable to make the shot with.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

Heck turtlesoop, if you can scope it that's what I would do. You didn't ask, but if your shots are generally in the 100 yards or less range I would recommend a 4X Simmons ProDiamond for $40 from Natchez Shooters Supply. I have four of them on muzzleloaders and really like them.

Last edited by Semisane; 10-11-2010 at 04:03 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 01:23 PM
Dominant Buck

If it is legal, scope it. Especially with your back condition. Hunt from a ground blind and drop them where they stand. Of course this is just my opinion.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I had the opportunity I would use a scope during muzzleloading season. In Minnesota I cannot. Peep sights work pretty good for me though.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

SCOPE.....I would'nt be without one of you can use it. Not only can you see better in low light, but you can see the Game Closer. A Scope lets you see where you want to be and gives you the Edge. Open Sights even with Fiber Optic cover a Big Area on your Target, it's Not Percise, a Scope will put you in the Money. Scope it!
(BP)
Old 10-12-2010, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I also shoot an Omega.First I sighted it in at 100 yds with the fiber sights.Next I put a VX-1 2-7 scope on using Leupolds QR rings/base.I hunt with the scope but can always fall back on the stock sights without any lost time if tragedy strikes the scope.The QR setup makes cleaning MUCH easier.I've never had to re-sight so kudos to Leupold quality.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:26 AM
Typical Buck

I hit a deer at 80+ yards on open sight last season and he got away from me. I apparently didn't hit him well enough. So I scoped my gun and have been to the range about 5 times with it this year. It and me are shooting good now. I expect the next deer to go down.

Now if you are good with open sights, then by all means keep it that way. My wife's uncle use to shoot deer with open sights with his .270 at 175 yards. I doubt I could do that, so scope it is for me.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
Heck turtlesoop, if you can scope it that's what I would do. You didn't ask, but if your shots are generally in the 100 yards or less range I would recommend a 4X Simmons ProDiamond for $40 from Natchez Shooters Supply. I have four of them on muzzleloaders and really like them.

I don't think Natchez still offers the 4x32 for $40. On their website, they have two 4x32 ProDiamonds, the shotgun scope for $65.45 and the rifle scope for $343.40 (typo?!?).

In any case I kept putting off picking up another one of these. Should not have waited.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you're a good shot and you're not going to be shooting more than 100 yards, the iron sights will be fine EXCEPT for the earliest and latest of shooting light (or in other darker situations...i.e. deer against a very dark backdrop). For me, I think that's where it will make all the difference. This will be my first season hunting with a scope, and I went that route because last season there were two occasions where it was getting dark but I could still see the deer fine, but I just couldn't be sure of the exact position of my front sight in relation to the targets. I was using peep sights, mind you, which don't let a lot of light in the rear sight, so I may have felt differently if I had been using fiber optic sights.

I have an Omega also. I feel that it is designed for use with iron sights while the Triumph is better suited for scopes. The comb on the Omega is very low, and it feels perfect when you quickly pick it up and put the front sight on a target. When I mounted a scope, I had to use the lower portion of my face (almost my jaw) to get a "cheek" weld on the stock. I don't like that one bit, so I bought a comb riser and put it on the comb. It was relatively cheap...like $22. It was a Blackhawk.

Anyway, if you scope that Omega, consider Game Reaper mounts. They are awesome! Very quick to install, and you don't need to fool with adjusting windage on the rings, etc, etc. Good stuff.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.