Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Wolf or Yukon/Genesis? >

Wolf or Yukon/Genesis?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Wolf or Yukon/Genesis?

Old 10-06-2010, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Wolf or Yukon/Genesis?

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to pick up an inexpensive, lightweight rifle for my dad that will be used mostly for treestand hunting. He's a lefty, so it needs to be easy to use for him- ambidextrous hammer or safety. The important things are:

1. Short & lightweight
2. Can be used easily by a lefty
3. Accurate out to 100 yards (will not be used for long-range shooting)
4. Inexpensive
5. Easy to load & prime

I've sort of narrowed it down to the CVA Wolf and the Traditions Yukon/Remington Genesis. I'm interested in hearing from anyone that has owned or used either of these. I'm also open to other suggestions if I've missed seeing something else.

The Yukon/Genesis is a little cheaper, and seems to be shorter & more lightweight. I've heard good things about their accuracy. I was wondering about blowback & cleaning, though. Do they have much blowback, and are they difficult to clean? The Wolf seems like a nice rifle too. Thanks in advance for all replies.

Oh, forgot to add. I will be shooting loose T7 and sabots- no conicals or Powerbelts. I would prefer to use a lighter bullet - i.e. 250 grains or less (like a Gold Dot or XTP), so I don't know if either of these have a reputation for preferring lighter or heavier bullets.

Last edited by oldsmellhound; 10-06-2010 at 09:27 AM.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:27 AM
Banned

Wolf with QRBP. Light, accurate and easy to clean. They also has good crisp triggers now
Old 10-06-2010, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've shot/owned all 3 (Wolf, Yukon and Genesis)

No real big complaints about the wolf other than the ergonomics of it. I'm not a fan of break opens which your dad may or may not be.

The Yukon is similar to the Genesis except it will have the 'drop breech' as apposed to the 'Torch Cam', I do not like the drop breech at all. It's hard to clean w/a scope and seems flemsy. The barrel will be shorter as well.

The Genesis is my personal pick of the 3 you mentioned. It's fit and finish is better than the Yukon and I think it shoulders just about as good as any gun I own.

As far as blowback, all will be fairly close. I shoot BH mostly out of my inlines and there is little to no blowback in all of those guns.

Cleaning I would give nods to the Genesis and Wolf. As I said above the drop breech is a pain. That being said, I spend more time cleaning the breech plug on any of my guns than I do on the rest of the gun. I don't know that you'll see a big difference between them.

You asked about lighter bullets. My Genesis' (both of them) shoot 200g XTPs amazingly accurate. The Yukon and Wolf shot them satisfactory but nothing spectacular.

Hope this helps,
Scott
Old 10-06-2010, 09:52 AM
mountaineer magic

Genesis would be my choice. I have 2 and they are good shooters for the money, especially at the ranges you are talking about.

Old 10-06-2010, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the quick replies. I was under the impression that the Genesis was just a Yukon rebranded as a Remington. So they are not the same rifle? I have a line on a cheap Yukon, but I don't see the Genesis anywhere for sale - I just thought they were basically the same rifle.

I'll probably be shooting .40 200 XTP's out of whichever I get- provided they shoot well enough. My dad has a bad shoulder and is a little recoil shy. Plus I have a big stock of 200 XTP's from shooting my .45. He's going to be hunting mostly out of a treestand, and shots will average 50 - 70 yards, so I'm only looking for 2.5 MOA accuracy or better.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:06 AM
Dominant Buck

I own a Genesis.. great rifle, accurate, easy to clean, easy to carry. I know that some of the parts from a Yukon and Genesis are interchangeable, but I am not sure about this drop breech VS the cam action on the Genesis.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

For the 125 dollar clearance sale, I can't complain with my Genesis. But I bet the Wolf would be 'handier' if everything will be fairly close range.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by oldsmellhound
Thanks for the quick replies. I was under the impression that the Genesis was just a Yukon rebranded as a Remington. So they are not the same rifle? I have a line on a cheap Yukon, but I don't see the Genesis anywhere for sale - I just thought they were basically the same rifle.
Yes and no. Most parts are interchangable such as the breech plug, sights ect. But the barrel is shorter, action and the stock are different.

The main working difference is that the the Yukon has a drop breech were the action falls down to expose the BP. It is held in place by a pin and sping. (this a weak point of the design) Because of the way it's released, unless you have a scope that has removable mounts, it will not come out to clean. (unless you remove the barrel from the stock.)

The Genesis on the other hand has an action that flips to the side. It's much less likely to open on accident as it doesn't have gravity working with it and to me seems to be a much better quality workmanship. (In 4 or 5 seasons, I've never had it come open on me when I didn't want it to)

Hope that helps explain it a little better. I'm at work or I'd take some pictures for you.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks, I think I understand.

One more thing, I have a Bushnell red dot sight that I will mount on whichever rifle I buy. It is a small one that only needs 1 base to attach to. Do any of these rifles have an advantage over the other if using this type of sight?
Old 10-06-2010, 01:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

TN, if you have time to post pics of the differences in the actions later, I would appreciate it. Thanks,