Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Duplexing Blackhorn209 >

Duplexing Blackhorn209

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Duplexing Blackhorn209

Old 10-05-2010, 07:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

Several years ago i bought several bottles of Clean Shot pellets. Never got my CVA guns to fire the things right. Ruined a breechplug by drilling it out and the things still would not light. Went to using about five grains of Clean Shot granular powder as an igniter. Two Clean Shot pellets boosted this way were much more powerful than two Pyrodex pellets. Three pellets were just awesome.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:56 AM
Banned

stupidity has a way of eventually extracting its own price. Sometimes that is a higher price than it's worth. Sometimes you have to experiment if you want to be on the cutting edge. So it comes down to a couple of different things. For some it is the daring experiments of those on the frontier or for some it equals the fact that young and stupid often go hand in hand.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by josh...just josh
BH209 isn't approved in a sidelock because it wont go off, not because it would be dangerous. BH209 isn't some magically powerful stuff, it's very comparable to triple 777 which people (myself included) use in sidelocks all of the time. The manufacture likes to claim that BH produces way higher velocities than the competition, but every test that have seen BH is only 10-30 fps faster than the same load of 777, if not less than that.
Exactly! Its not approved due to it having a #11 nipple. Yet the person i talked to said they had worked with the 209 mag spark adapter with a sidelock and it worked good with BH209. If you go to www.maxmuzzleloader.com he toured the factory and got print outs of pressure readings and shows how much of a spike Pyrodex pellets have over bh209.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:12 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by flounder33
Do you know for a fact that that is the only reason it is not approved for sidelocks or are you conjecturing that? I know it is not approved for certain inlines and that is not because of ignition problems it is because it blows the 209 primer apart. Ask Cayugad, he has had to dig part of a primer out of his face. So we see it does not act exactly like triple 7, the pressures develop differently.
I think he was using the plunger style rifle. Ive read other reports from guys doing that and ending up with the same deal LOL. Well not funny, but as long as you dont get hurt, nothing wrong with a laugh or 2.

I shoot them in my bolt action CVA and it loves the stuff.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:16 AM
Banned

Well here is the video. Last time i ever upload a movie t hat size on this internet connection. It only took almost 7 HOURS.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5lmjSHJNxk
Old 10-05-2010, 09:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cvaisjunk
stupidity has a way of eventually extracting its own price. Sometimes that is a higher price than it's worth. Sometimes you have to experiment if you want to be on the cutting edge. So it comes down to a couple of different things. For some it is the daring experiments of those on the frontier or for some it equals the fact that young and stupid often go hand in hand.
+1 Some have to learn things the hard way
Old 10-05-2010, 12:07 PM
Typical Buck

Cool Video! And,,right or wrong,,i enjoyed the test. Thanks for sharing
Old 10-05-2010, 12:39 PM
mountaineer magic

In this sue happy world I wonder if you could be held liable if someone blows themself up with a duplex load. maybe you should add a disclaimer. Something like "Don't try this at home. All tests performed by a professional. Please follow the recommendations of the manufacturer of your gun"

Old 10-05-2010, 12:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rem700man
Cool Video! And,,right or wrong,,i enjoyed the test. Thanks for sharing
Thanks! Next time out i hopefully will have the mag spark adapter and pure BH209. Im really excited to see how well the rifle shoots this powder. We have 3 more sidelocks, the cabelas hawken is one that i really am interested in trying next due to the powder channel being so small. I think the BH will flow smoothly under the nipple due to its smaller granules.

Also have a .54 to try it in but with patched round balls. That will be a hoot!
Old 10-05-2010, 12:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by chetmarks
In this sue happy world I wonder if you could be held liable if someone blows themself up with a duplex load. maybe you should add a disclaimer. Something like "Don't try this at home. All tests performed by a professional. Please follow the recommendations of the manufacturer of your gun"
Did you know that a cracked pellet can shoot the PSI in the barrel up over 35k?

Pellets are more of a danger that what i am doing

THE COMPANY GAVE THE THUMBS UP!!

Its funny when someone says to ask the Manf and once they get an answer back that they dont like, they still go on and on

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.