Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Out To 200Yds.

Old 10-04-2010, 03:07 AM
Spike

Default Out To 200Yds.

I have a CVA Optima 50Cal. topped with a 3x9 Tasco Pronghorn Scope.I`m getting up there in years and can`t go up Hill and Dale like I used to.So now I`m just hunting the wood edges along weed and corn fields for deer.And I would like sight my Blackpowder in for 200 Yds.I`m wondering what grain Powerbelt and how many grains 777 Pellets would be best.And has anyone tried the new 777 magnum pellets?How many grains are they?And how about the new Platinum Powerbelts,any better than the regular powerbelts?
Old 10-04-2010, 03:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Pinestump447
I have a CVA Optima 50Cal. topped with a 3x9 Tasco Pronghorn Scope.I`m getting up there in years and can`t go up Hill and Dale like I used to.So now I`m just hunting the wood edges along weed and corn fields for deer.And I would like sight my Blackpowder in for 200 Yds.I`m wondering what grain Powerbelt and how many grains 777 Pellets would be best.And has anyone tried the new 777 magnum pellets?How many grains are they?And how about the new Platinum Powerbelts,any better than the regular powerbelts?
Im not one who really likes PowerBelts and Im CVA Shooter through and through. I find the 240gr XTP Mags shoot best out of all My CVA's and provide exceptional Accuracy and Devestating Wounds. But if you must go with Powerbelts Im thinking for longer shots around 250gr's would be good to keep the Trajectory as flat as possible.
The New T7 Magnum Pellets (2 of them) are equal to 3 regular Pyrodox Pellets. But in My Opinion they being a Magnum Load having to use 2 of them would be too much as you'd sacrafice accuracy with a Magnum load for those longer distances.
I use Pyrodox RS (loose Powder) 100-105 grs in My CVA ACCURA's and a 240gr XTP Mag and I can get 1"1/2-2" groups at 200yds with that setup amn enough knock down power to do the job.
I also use 2-50gr Pyro Pellets (100grs) in one of my other ACCURA's with the 240gr XTP and the results are pretty much the same.
If you can and want to and can get it, I'd consider Loose Powder so you can find that (Sweet Spot) Load that shoots perfect out of your CVA, that was you know you'll have the Best Possible Accuracy out of your ML for them Longer Shots.
You dont need a Magnum Load for Longer Shots, you need a Load that works for your ML, either way loose or Pellets 100-110 grs is Plenty of Power to get the Job Done, and even a little less.
With Pellets your pretty Much stuck with 2 or 3 for the 50gr and I know they make 30gr too, but most times the combination you come up with still is'nt as good as it could be with Loose Powder.
(BP)
Old 10-04-2010, 05:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you MUST use pellets, then try both 2 and 3. If you must use powerbelts, try a few weights out.

I'll stick to loose powder for starters. However, I'm not sure if it's legal to use sabots where you are, but if they are legal- try some Hornady SST/MLs. A little more aerodynamic. Drop is easy, adjust the scope, wind drift requires a little bit of a feel

So, don't be afraid to shoot more than a little and figure out what you and your gun want to shoot.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Pinestump447

Yes the Platnum versions are tougher than the copper or the all lead versions. If you are set on shooting Powerbelts then yes, I would recommend you shoot them.

Traditionally, when you shoot stiff charges your accuracy tends to decrease greatly. Not all instances as some guns are powder hogs so it's best to make sure you try several different charges and see where the groups start opening up considerably.

My suggestion, take it for what it's worth, is to find you some sabots and not use the powerbelts. (this is assuming that sabots are legal (since you're allowed to use scopes I would assume so)) You'll get a lot more flat trajectory and more reliable performance from most any other bullet. I'm sure you local shops will have some shockwaves, XTPs and such.

If you must shoot full bore conicals, then my suggestion would be the 300g FPBs. They are amazingly accurate in everything I've ever shot them out of.

The main keys are making sure you know the trajectory of the load you're using and also that you are able of making ethical shots at that distance. That's a LONG way w/a ML for the average shooter.

Hope this helps!
Scott
Old 10-04-2010, 08:20 AM
Fork Horn

I also have a CVA Optima, using 250g Hornady SST, 45cal, with 50 cal sabot and 150g of 777 pellets, i have my Optima, shooting 50-200yards all kill zone, dont know why people talk like its hard to do, should be about 1.5 high at 50, about 2-2.5 high at 100, about 1.5 high at 150, and low 2.5 at 200, pretty close to horandy's balistic chart if your gun likes it, mine does, Maybe i am just lucky.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:23 AM
Spike

Default Out to 200Yds.

First I want to thank everyone for their help.I have used Horndy Lock-N-load speed sabots in the past,but they are hard to load even on the first shot.Second shot forget it,it just wont go.I keep my Optima clean, so I know thats not the issue.I like using the Pellets because when I seat the bullet it is all ways the same.And does anyone know if you can use a T/7 Maganum pellet along with a regular 50 grain T/7 pellet.I heard that the T/7 Maganum is 65 grains.and if I could combine it with a 50 grain T/7 That would be 115 grains if my math is right.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Gun some crushed rib sabots, and forget the pellets.......
Old 10-04-2010, 09:20 AM
Banned

with my new optima i am using the 295gr powerbelts, 90gr blackhorn209 and am 12" low @ 200 when sighted dead on @ 100.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:22 AM
Spike

Me thinks Big Z does not like the Pellets.But I can see your point of having more flexibility with your charge.And you almost got me talked in to going loose powder.Which means I`ll have to buy a new powder measure,because I gave my old away when I switched to Pellets.

Last edited by Pinestump447; 10-05-2010 at 01:42 AM.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Pinestump447
Me thinks Big Z does like the Pellets.But I can see your point of having more flexibility with your charge.And you almost got me talked in to going loose powder.Which means I`ll have to buy a new powder measure,because I gave my old away when I switched to Pellets.
It's not only the flexibility but also cost and consistency. Have you ever seen how those pellets flake off and crumble? I can also reload quicker w/loose than I can pellets. To each his own, but there are things to consider other than the impression that pellets are far superior to loose.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.