Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
knight original disc questions >

knight original disc questions

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

knight original disc questions

Old 10-03-2010, 02:42 AM
Typical Buck

Default knight original disc questions

I just bought a disc rifle from a member here on hni and it should arrive sometime this week. Im really amped up about having everything needed to start shooting it when it arrives. The seller gave me his preferred load of 150 gr. 777 and a hornady 250 gr. sst,,,i will shoot that load but im one of those guys that hates recoil,,,and suspect that im gonna have to try a lighter load! Can anyone give me some insight on where to start with this gun based on your experiences? Here is what i know about the gun and the kind of hunting i'll be doin:
!) knight original disc,,syn. thumbhole stock,,26" barrel.
2)All of my shots will be between 7 and 175 yds totally unobstructed. (i cant shoot @ these deer until they hit a wide open field)
3) I want to pull every ounce of accuracy out of this gun and be just as confident in it as i am my encore.(i will shoot does in the head with the encore out to 75 yds and never worry about missin)
4)I have a guy that beds all my rifles,,,is it worth it to glass bed a muzzleloader?

I owned one of these guns 5 yrs ago and did not take the necessary time to learn what it "Liked" and i sold it off! Now i spend alot of time on here reading about you guys owning a bunch of different guns and they all seem to shoot good with a little effort learning the guns likes,,and i find myself wanting to have different makes and models that all shoot good,,,so any help you can give me is greatly appreciated
Thanks
Old 10-03-2010, 03:56 AM
Typical Buck

I have owned several and with a 150 gr. loads the recoil is ruff and I have a couple scars to prove it. My whitetail load was 100 grs. 777 and 240 gr deadcenters. The deer didn't seemed to notice the difference between 100 and 150grs.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have owned my Disc about 8 years, here are my pet loads...

Current...80grs Goex FFF and a 300gr Hornady .430 XTP with the green Harvester sabot (not crush rib)

85grs Goex FFF and a .250gr Hornady .452 XTP with the MMP-24 sabot...

80grs Goex FFF or 90grs Pyrodex R-S and the TC or Hornady SST and the MMP-24 sabot...

100grs Pyrodes with the 300gr Barnes MZ bullet and supplied sabots...

The nice thing is the 250 Hornady and the 250 SST loads both hit 2-2 1/2 high at 100 yards...The 300gr .430 XTP hits an inch high and dead on at 125 with no scope adjustment and these loadings...
Old 10-03-2010, 10:40 AM
Dominant Buck

I have an original disc and it is a good shooter. Some of the loads I shoot are 85 grains of Pyrodex RS and a 250 grain Shockwave. That should be good for your long distance shooting. Also I have shot 110 grains of Pyrodex RS and a 200 grain .400 Lehigh brass bullet in a blue MMP sabot and it was real accurate. Never hunted with it, but have no doubt it would do the job.

150 grain loads were never accurate for me. 85-110 were the best.
Old 10-03-2010, 02:55 PM
Spike

Most of the development work on the Disc rifles was done with the 250 Grn Barnes MZ bullets. Outstanding performance on game with loads in the 90-110 Grn range. I know the guns will perform well with other bullets and loads, but that is what the factory uses when you send a gun back to have work performed on it.
Old 10-03-2010, 11:50 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks alot guys,,looks like i have enough info for some prime bench time,,,,and with the lighter loads listed i wont get beat up!
Thanks again
Old 10-04-2010, 01:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Droptine 26
Most of the development work on the Disc rifles was done with the 250 Grn Barnes MZ bullets. Outstanding performance on game with loads in the 90-110 Grn range. I know the guns will perform well with other bullets and loads, but that is what the factory uses when you send a gun back to have work performed on it.
Funny...I called them when I bought mine and they told me if it wouldn't preform with a 300gr Barnes then something was wrong with it...I never did get mine to shoot those 250s well...
Old 10-04-2010, 06:06 AM
Dominant Buck

I have shot both the 250 and 300 grain Barnes MZ Expanders out of mine and it does not seem to care which one I shoot. Very accurate. I just hate to purchase the things.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

I just hate to purchase the things.
Me too. Just can't make myself do it. They are great bullets without a doubt. But I've seen the results on deer with both Barnes bullets and Speer Gold Dot/Deep Curls. As far as I can tell the Barnes won't do anything the Speers can't do, especially at the 150 yards or less ranges that I hunt.