Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
How does cold affect point of impact? >

How does cold affect point of impact?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

How does cold affect point of impact?

Old 10-01-2010, 05:20 AM
Typical Buck

I don't think the outside temp has too much to change. However if you are sighting in your rifle and not allow enough time for the barrel to cool then you would probably have a change. My BC is dead on a cool barrel, but once it warms up it climbs about an 1 and either a 1 to the right or left. Now in all honesty your still in the kill zone but it does effect the bullet. I think as long as you sight your gun to a clean cold barrel as would your first shot be. You wont have any problems with outside temps.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

No matter if it's Hot, Warm or Cold you should Always check your POI, it would if anything give you a Pice of Mind to know for sure where your at. I dont care if I sighted in when whatever Temp it was, befor I go Hunting Im checking to make 100% Sure Im where I shoud be.
But I have also Hunted on some Pretty COLD Days and I still hit where I was aiming, and I know for a fact that I did'nt sight in when it was Below Zero out. So with that said it would be Impossible to know exactly for sure where your gonna hit when the Temps vary so much, just check it befor your Hunt and that's all you can do.
Old 10-02-2010, 05:12 AM
Fork Horn

if your talking about a clean barrel here that could be your issue.

Originally Posted by ADVWannabee
Check my posts here over the last few weeks and the one from this past weekend. My gun will shoot 2" high and 2" right on the first shot out of a cold barrel. But that is in 80+ weather. Not sure how much more it will move in colder weather. I doubt it will move much, at least not enough to make a difference.
Old 10-02-2010, 05:14 AM
Fork Horn

Never had any impact changes from a so called warm barrel....