Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Where would you, what would you. >

Where would you, what would you.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Where would you, what would you.

Old 09-29-2010, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I were to shoot I would go for 3, I try very hard not to shoot button bucks.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:46 PM
Dominant Buck

Some excellent responses so far.

Remember, this is 25 yards free hand shooting, no rest. There is only brush in front of you. Next time you go to the range and can put out a 25 yards target, like a tennis ball... shoot at it free hand. Especially with a flintlock.

Personally, because of my shooting skill at free hand it would be the #3 spot. Most of them will drop the deer in its tracks. From a rest, any of them could be tried.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Right at the top of the 3. But since I cannot see irons well any more I only hunt with a scope.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'd likely let him walk if I already had a deer in the freezer, or I had more hunting opportunities in the days ahead.

But the brain teasers on this one are the stipulations "Its the first deer you have seen in six days" and "The season for the day ends in ten minutes."

It that were changed to "Its the first deer you've had a shot at" and "the season ends today", I'd put that ball behind the ear at #2 and enjoy the tender young venison.

Shot #1 would be just as good and devastating, but I just can't bring myself to shoot a deer in the head. Don't know why. I shoot other animals in the head all of the time.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Remember, this is 25 yards free hand shooting, no rest. There is only brush in front of you. Next time you go to the range and can put out a 25 yards target, like a tennis ball... shoot at it free hand. Especially with a flintlock.
Excellent point Cayugad. Still, if I'd decided to take the shot I believe I could make it at that range. I know I wouldn't touch the trigger if I couldn't get the sights right. So he might end up walking anyway.

Maybe each of us should take that one freehand shot at 25 yards as you suggested - then post the results. That would be a hoot. Probably an embarrassing hoot.

Last edited by Semisane; 09-29-2010 at 07:16 PM.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:52 PM
Dominant Buck

I want you to know that I put an orange out at 25 yards. I had my Trade Rifle and figured it would be a piece of cake to hit that. Well guess what... three shots later, I finally nicked the orange. So I am getting at this.. unless you practice, take a high percentage shot. Behind the eye, or in the neck or spine all seem easy but remember how small the target is you are shooting at. Especially free hand.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

Semi - Cayugad

Maybe each of us should take that one freehand shot at 25 yards as you suggested - then post the results. That would be a hoot. Probably an embarrassing hoot.
That sounds like fun... maybe something for the next trip to the farm, and again using clay pigeons. Gonna have to break out one of the PRB Renegade's - is alright to use a 'peep' sight? Wish it was not so close to hunting season, but maybe I can fit it in this weekend.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:47 PM
Dominant Buck

Yes a peep sight is legal. A clay bird is a great 25 yard target. Remember the shoots where we would put up a 3x5 index card at 25 yards and then shoot free hand with open sights at 25 yards. You had to shoot three times. We might enjoy that.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:52 PM
Typical Buck

Three things here help me to make my final decision!
1) 6 days and i hav'nt seen a deer
2) I've Practiced extensively before season and i should have the lock time down pretty good. (even tho i was shooting from the bench)
3)In the past 6 days i have already taken (at least) 2 off hand shots at rocks unloading the gun to put a fresh load in. (since this is my "day dream" im gonna imagine that i hit the rock)

Im gonna hold high @ #2 right on the hair line and hope that the bullet hits somewhere in the juggler. (because @25 yds he's gonna hear the hammer drop and his head will be rippin skyward @ ignition)
And if i miss,,,so what! I'm still walkin home with a grin on my face!
Old 09-30-2010, 03:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've shot enough deer not to be tempted by a fawn, let alone a button buck. The reason the hunter has not seen a deer in 6 days is most likely because there are few around. Shooting fawns won't help the situation. For a hunter that has not shot many deer, I can understand shooting. I would aim directly over the 3. No tracking required at dusk.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.