Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Reducing charge to get on paper? >

Reducing charge to get on paper?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Reducing charge to get on paper?

Old 09-30-2010, 12:18 PM
Typical Buck

Just my opinion - Bore sight it first like mentioned before. I think you are going to use more powder up doing it your way then if you started with 80 grains because after you shoot to get on paper you will keep bumping up your loads and fire more shots. I know it is expensive but it will probably take a can or two to find your right load combination and get sighted in. Once you shoot it, you will be like most of us and won't be able to stop.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

Geez - Am I the only guy in here that hasn't used BH209? To me the cleaning (swabbing) between shots is part of the ML tradition. If by the off chance I would ever need a second shot while hunting I wouldn't swab the bore.
If, I am in a hurry and just verifying zero or just want to have fun and blast away, I dont swab anyway until my load get too hard to seat.
Old 09-30-2010, 01:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Geez - Am I the only guy in here that hasn't used BH209?
You just may be Bronko. I bought ten ounces back in January 2009. Shot up about half of it, and ordered another case of GOEX. Still have that half full canister of Blackhorn sitting around here somewhere.
Old 09-30-2010, 02:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

CC - I probably will become like all of you and start sniffing the stuff.

bronko - I didn't get into it for tradition's sake. I got into it to get me in the woods two weeks earlier! Once I start shooting (tomorrow, actually), things may change. One step towards addiction at a time...

SS - What don't you like about BH209?
Old 09-30-2010, 04:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

SS - What don't you like about BH209?
For my purposes (max 175 yards on my longest food plot & 50 yards in the woods) Blackhorn didn't do anything I can't do with GOEX, Pyrodex or Triple Seven. I didn't get any better accuracy than with GOEX in either my Lyman Mustang or Omega X7. I started getting misfires in both guns after four or five shots. It took me as long to clean the breech plugs as it normally takes to clean the entire gun. The price is ridiculous.

Other than that, I liked the stuff.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:02 AM
Fork Horn

Nope - I haven't used it either.
With my White Ultra Mag, I don't have to swab between shots and only clean it after all the shooting's done.
T7 works great for me.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

Never used it either. i see no need to do so.

If, I am in a hurry and just verifying zero or just want to have fun and blast away, I dont swab anyway until my load get too hard to seat.
i do that when using Pyrodex. When using Pinnacle i often go ten shots or more without swabbing.