HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   What a weekend...yuck (omega)-update! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/330230-what-weekend-yuck-omega-update.html)

hillbillyhunter1 09-21-2010 05:16 AM

What a weekend...yuck (omega)-update!

well, where to start.

I had all the time, powder, and bullets I needed for an extended shooting session and was determined to get the ol Z omega (syn/blue) shooting like I had seen it do before (say 2'' groups at 100),

Its topped with a nikon prostaff. I was shooting 120 gr of pyrodex pushing a 250 gr shockwave (the same set-up of used with this thing since I bought it 3 years ago....probably has had no more than 100 shots through it). Barrel was clean as a whistle. all screws everywhere were tight. After a couple initial decent shots the whole thing fell apart...made you want to cry....after a dozen shots with only a "click" or two here and there on the scope, the group was barely inside a pie plate at 100 yds. I was cleaning it after every shot...then I started doing it after a couple or three shots...didn't make any difference...bullets were flying everywhere...up, down, sideways. Even though I had a spotting scope I was walking down range every shot or two....barrel temp (if that is ever a problem on a m/l) certainly was not a problem here.

To top it off, I had a brain fart and double loaded it....session over.....took the breech plug out...couldn't get the jammed loadS to move. Went home, took the air compressor to it to blow out the powder from the first load. Couldn't budge the thing with a mallet.

yesterday I took it to a friend who is an expert at BP rifles. We got the bullets pulled and the block cleared. He said the accuracy problem might be the pyrodex if it was old (it was...couple years...although stored in a cool dry place....it looked fine). He gave me some goex FF bp and said try that.

Do you guys think older pyrodex (even though it looked perfect) could be deteriorated to the point that it effects accuracy like this???

I've only now got a couple days to figure this out before the first special deer season ends....I would not really feel comfortable taking it hunting with the accuracy problems it is having unless I kept the shots really short.

I know this thing will shoot...but something certainly is wrong at the moment.

I had it go out of whack one other time and all it needed was the bedding screws tightened...but this time everything was already tight.

the only other thing I've done different then those first great range sessions is quit using bore butter between shots (based upon recommendations from this forum) and AFTER that decision it still shot good

any other thoughts??

sorry this post is sooo long

thanks
hb

hillbillyhunter1 09-21-2010 05:22 AM

Initially i did not know i double loaded it (although i knew something was wrong)...I thought it just jammed with a single load and i was going to have to send it back to t/c. Also I WAS going to ask them to take a look at the barrel....my point is I took the scope, rings, and base off...so i get to start totally from scratch again...lol

SHulion 09-21-2010 05:57 AM

Absolutely. I would bet the powder is your problem. Either that or your scope has gone bad. Give some new powder a try and let us know how it does. May want to try some Black Horn 209 powder.

lemoyne 09-21-2010 05:58 AM

Lacking some information necessary to determine the cause of your problem I will point out some possibilities to look at: if the stock to action screws on a Omega are over tightened it will cause problems especially on the plastic stock. If the touch hole in the breach plug is flame cut out especially if it is irregular can cause your problem. The best solution for that is to replace by drilling tapping and putting in a vent liner.
And yes even good stable old Pyrodex can sour if exposed to moisture long enough though it is not near as bad as the APP powders, the only powder I would trust to set any length of time is Blackhorn. The best answer to that is open a brand new can and try it. There is also the possibility that the scope has been dropped or banged some stand up to this better than others but if a gun is dropped or knocked over and it bends the barrel of the scope even a little the parallax induced will cause the results you are experiencing.

Big Z 09-21-2010 06:45 AM

I'd test with irons and use loc-tite upon re-mounting the scope.

cayugad 09-21-2010 07:00 AM

Check the amount of how hard you are tightening down the lug screws. Also I would pick up a new pound of powder. If this shot well with that powder and projectile before, then it should again. I would do the powder and remount everything nice and tight.

jaybe 09-21-2010 07:01 AM

I'm no expert on problems like this, but there might be some wisdom in backing off on the charge to 90-100 grains and see if it improves accuracy or group size any.

hillbillyhunter1 09-21-2010 07:18 AM

thank you gentlemen for all your quick replies. Lemoyne, the breech plug looked good to me and the ignition hole too (round, that is). I cleaned that thing thoroughly before this last round as well. I'm not exactly sure but guess that "flame cut" means the hole is distorted in shape, which it is not. Scope/gun have never been dropped or bumped.
As far as the lug screws...they are as tight as I can get them with regular screwdriver....I don't know how else to do it.....and remember that the last time I tightened them solved my accuracy problem at that time...and i haven't moved them sinse....although I did just check them again to make sure they were still tight.

One thing I noticed when taking the scope base off was that thos screws were extremely easy to "back-off" I thought they might have not been tight enough.

I know you guys may think this is a dumb question but, lock-tite....I've never used it.....can you still remove a screw if you need to after you use it??? Do you guys use lock-tite on all your guns when it comes to scope bases and such. Perhaps I need to buy a torque wrench...if so what poundage should I use for lug screws??? how much for scope screws???

I didn't realize you could over-tighten lug screws. how is that possible??? especially with a syn stock??

hubby11 09-21-2010 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by hillbillyhunter1 (Post 3686523)
I know you guys may think this is a dumb question but, lock-tite....I've never used it.....can you still remove a screw if you need to after you use it??? Do you guys use lock-tite on all your guns when it comes to scope bases and such.

Several types of loc-tite, with different strengths, some are permanent. Get the BLUE version to keep screws tight but still be able to remove them when needed.

lonewolf5348 09-21-2010 08:27 AM

I have it happen to me more then once long long story short the scope was saying good buy
I would try the gun with iron sights and see how she shoots