Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
What a weekend...yuck (omega)-update! >

What a weekend...yuck (omega)-update!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

What a weekend...yuck (omega)-update!

Old 09-22-2010, 06:13 AM
Dominant Buck

Good luck.. it will be interesting to hear of your results.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Update

Greetings all.

Back again to report on the outcome of this deal.

Cleaned the gun spotlessly. Took the barrel off and shimmed it with some camo duct tape (free-floating exercise) as I thought just one of the sides of the syn forearm was rubbing it a little. Git the idea from semisane's thread. Snugged the lugs with lock tite (blue bottle). re mounted the scope from scratch using lock tite (on the actual mount only).

New Load:
250 grain shockwaves. 100 grains of goex FF bp. Shot respectable groups at 50 yds...1.5 in or so. Not perfect, but something I could live with short term.

shot about 8 times and was able to get the poi to walk to the bull...like you would expect

downside: after going through all this, I finally got to go hunting on Sat. No deer offered a reasonable shot...only saw a couple. high for the day was 87 degrees...not what you'd call prime hunting weather...LOL....full moon to boot (waning gibbous, practically full). oh well

upside: In the final assesment, I feel I can trust this gun again. I think it may have been the old pyrodex. still looked fine but......

I'm gonna stick with regular ol BP for a while. On another note, my shipment of "no excuse" conicals arrived. 100 of them (460 grain)...yeah baby. I'm looking forward to getting on the range with them and using them during the regular season in Dec. (early season is closed now). Hard to believe the way that gentleman does business. sends out the bullets with an invoice to pay...no cc to secure payment...nothing...over the internet....must be a very nice, forthright guy.
Anyway, if anyone can recommend a good powder load for these that'd be great.

generally, how much would you guys expect to pay someone to do a bedding job on a rifle like this?

thanks for all your alls help