Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Why I like the Encore >

Why I like the Encore

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Why I like the Encore

Old 09-07-2010, 06:48 AM
Typical Buck

Default Why I like the Encore

This post goes along with my prior post on a disappointing day at the range. For the first time, I loaded a bullet with no powder. I knew I had done it but snapped a cap on it just to be sure. Sure enough, no bang.

With the Knight, you have to tear the gun apart to get the breach plug out to push the bullet through. With the Encore, you just have to break it open, turn the breach plug 90 degrees to pull it out and then push the bullet through.

I still like the Knight but I am really falling in love with the Encore.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

ADVWannabee

[QUOTEWith the Knight, you have to tear the gun apart to get the breach plug out to push the bullet through. ][/QUOTE]

Or, you could put a bullet pulling jag on the end of your ram/range rod screw it into the bullet and pull the bullet...

But, the QR breech plug is really nice.

And then I have really been fortunate if you have a goog sealing sabot and breech - Pop in a Fed 209A and shoot it out.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:29 AM
Dominant Buck

or don't dry hole them.. of course that does not count when I do it. And lately it seems I have done a few dry holes and expect to do a few more in the future.

I have no rifle with the fancy speed breech. And I have to admit, they have my attention. All of mine are the old, break out the tools and take it out. But that's all right too. Gives me something to do and the barrel time to cool off.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:05 AM
Typical Buck

I have to screw out the breech plug on my Encore old type but still easy . But like Dave i have a few old style guns.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:59 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
Or, you could put a bullet pulling jag on the end of your ram/range rod screw it into the bullet and pull the bullet...
I have done that on a lead conical in my old sidehammer gun, but have not tried it on a sabotted, jacketed bullet with a plastic tip. I guess it still works?

Originally Posted by sabotloader
And then I have really been fortunate if you have a goog sealing sabot and breech - Pop in a Fed 209A and shoot it out.
I did snap a cap on it, but it was the 777 cap that is not as powerful as the regular shotgun primers. I don't know if it moved the bullet or not, but it didn't move it much if it did.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

ADVWannabee

but have not tried it on a sabotted, jacketed bullet with a plastic tip. I guess it still works?
It does - I know - especially on a normal saboted lead bullet. Most often you will pull the bullet right out of the sabot - then have to go back and get the sabot... a bullet with a tip or spire point it is lot harder but can be done - but it is a lot easier to remove the speed breech...

I did snap a cap on it, but it was the 777 cap that is not as powerful as the regular shotgun primers. I don't know if it moved the bullet or not, but it didn't move it much if it did.
Not that I have ever 'dry holed' yeh right! - but the one good use I find for the Fed 209A's or CCI-209M is just for that. They both produce enough gas pressure that they will work most of the time - but not always. I always try take a few with me to the range or even hunting if I screw up and get a damp load...

Last edited by sabotloader; 09-07-2010 at 09:15 AM.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:57 AM
Fork Horn

With a saboted bullet, I have also pulled the bullet with a pulling jag, then shot the sabot out with a primer (had trouble getting the jag to screw into the sabot). Worked for me.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

i've loaded a saboted bullet without powder a few times. i remove the breechplug, push the sabot forward a little (if required) and add about ten grains of powder. Then the projectile is seated hard on the powder, the breechplug replaced, and the gun is capped and fired. Makes it easy.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

It takes me less than 60 seconds to take the bolt out of my MK-85 or my Knight LRH. Yes less than 60 seconds. I would hate to think that I did not have 60 seconds at the range when I made the mistake of not putting powder in a rifle??

A speed breech is nice. But I think you are totally over playing it by saying you have to "tear the whole gun apart".

I have owned several Knight rifles, and several TC MZ's, including a few Encore MZ"s(and I really like my TC CF's). I will put my Knight's up against the Encore for accuracy every day. And I prefer an accurate rifle over a rifle that saves me 60 seconds. Especially for the ridiculous price TC is selling the Pro hunter for. I can put together a custom Encore for less than the price of a Pro Hunter. So it better have at least one or two good features.

A good friend of mine owns a gun shop. He has lost count of the number of TC Encore MZ barrels he has had to send back to TC for accuracy problems. But you sure can save 60 seconds on taking out the breech plug!! WHOOOOPPIEEEEEE. Tom.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

How do you adjust the trigger pull in that Encore????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.