Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Blackhorn 209 In Omega... constant hangfires... need a solution. >

Blackhorn 209 In Omega... constant hangfires... need a solution.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Blackhorn 209 In Omega... constant hangfires... need a solution.

Old 08-30-2010, 11:55 AM
Spike

Default Blackhorn 209 In Omega... constant hangfires... need a solution.

Just tried out the Blackhorn 209 powder in my TC Omega, and had repeated hangfires and two misfires. I was using 90 grains Blackhorn 209, MMP black sabot with Barnes 300 Gr MZ, and Winchester 209 primers. I pulled the breech and I could see daylight through the fire channel... no obstruction.

Good velocity but it's like shooting a flintlock.

Could it be the primers? Or too narrow a fire channel in the breech?

I'm wondering if anyone makes a replacement breech plug with a larger diameter fire channel.

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would drill and tap the plug for a vent-liner. In the mean time federal 209A or CCIM should do the trick.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:02 PM
Fork Horn

It must be a primer problem. I use it in my omega and have never had any hint of a hangfire. I use Federal 209 A primers. Try something different.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:04 PM
Banned

No need to drill anything. Ditch those Winchester W209's and get either some CCI 209M or Remington STS primers.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Have you used an 1/8" drill hand turned to clean the carbon out of your fire channel? Do you experience a lot of blow back? Those mmp sabot should be plenty tight? If your bullets load loose, that may be the problem? Remember, with BH209 there is no need to swab between shots. Try a magnum primer? Has the breech plug been used lots and lots? Try a new breech plug?

If your breech plug is worn, it would cost you less than $2 to mail your breech plug to me, and i will refurbish it for you. This would include installing a vent liner, and removing flame cutting from the primer seat. Vent liners cost about $5.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

It's not like shooting MY flintlocks, no problem with a properly made flintlock...

You want reliable ignition???

Use Goes FFF...
Old 08-30-2010, 01:49 PM
Fork Horn

I would try Goex real black powder. Lower ignition point than any of the BP subs. I find that the FFFG does burn cleaner than the FFG. Makes for an easier quick reload in the field. Very rarely do I have hangfires in any of my MZ's with it.

Last edited by Landngroove; 08-30-2010 at 01:51 PM.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:16 PM
Spike

Thanks for the Info...

I'll clean out the fire channel with 1/8" drill, and try Federal and CCi primers, regular and magnum.

The hole in the concave barrel end of the breech plug is about .030 or less. I cut a paper clip that measured .030 to .037 as i turned it in the caliper (more oval than round) and it wouldn't fit in the hole.

There is no flame cut in the primer seat.

Roncaughlin, if the above doesn't work, I may have you refurbish the breech plug for me.

And yes Goex will work, and definitely less expensive, but I like the velocities I was getting off the chronograph.

Thanks All
Old 08-30-2010, 03:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

hunter235

As the flash channel builds up carbon the primer becomes less effective. Even though you can see all the way through unless the channel is open things will not work that well. Opening the channel is a good way to help eliminate the problem. The hotter the primer you use the faster the channel will fill. I use a mild W209 primer for the plugs that I have modified.

Here is an example of a modified Omega plug...

Here you can see how much more open the flash channel is. Adding the Lehigh Vent Liner to the plug makes a huge difference, well worth the effort.

Old 08-30-2010, 03:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

hunter235

Normal size for the flash hole is 0.028", and at that size my Omegas are 100% reliable and instantaneous with BH209. I should also mention that i have been using W209 primers successfully ever since BH209 has been on store shelves. Your breech plug should work just fine as is.

Use the 1/8" drill to clean the flash channel, and don't swab between shots, and have a somewhat tight sabot, and be sure to have the bullet/sabot tight against the powder. You should have good ignition with any primer, if you do these things.

Even though i feel it is unnecessary for success with BH209 in an Omega, i will be quite happy to prep your plug for a vent liner. Doing such things is kinda like a hobby for me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.