Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
New Muzzleloader question >

New Muzzleloader question

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New Muzzleloader question

Old 08-18-2010, 02:59 PM
Fork Horn

Default New Muzzleloader question

I am looking to buy a new muzzleloader, I am looking at the T/C Omega Dream Season. Bought my husband the T/C Triumph Bone Collector for Xmas Last year and it just seems a little to long for me but I do like the feel of the Omega. Would like to hear some ou you fine fellas thoughts on this gun.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:39 PM
Fork Horn

My hunting buddy uses an omega. He loves it and its accurate as could be. I believe there is an omega model with a shorter barrel called the x7. I know one of the others will quickly say if this is right or wrong. If so then you will have the best of both worlds; an omega and a shorter better fitting gun.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bought my wife this riflehttp://www.oeoutfitters.com/scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=36. everything about the rifle is quality.and they are very accurate to boot. the new T/c imapct is another option with it's adjustable butt stock.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Have you handled the new rifle you are talking about?? How does it fit you?? Is it a wood or composite stock?? It would be easier to shorten the stock if it is wood. Just find one that fits you well.

Talk to Cayugad, he seems to have experience with a lot of different MZ's. He might have some good insight on which factory rifle might fit you. Good luck, and good shooting, Tom.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:55 PM
Fork Horn

also , if you have a good gunsmith in your parts you can have the stock cut down and a new recoil pad installed, that might be your cheapest route
Old 08-18-2010, 05:15 PM
Dominant Buck

I am guessing you want to scope the rifle. What kind of distance shots are average where you hunt and target shoot?

There are many good inline rifles on the market. But the new ones I am not all that up on. I normally hunt with older technology rifles. I would go to a store and look at the Accura by CVA, the Optima by CVA (make sure they have the Bergra barrel), the Triumph and Omega by T/C.

Shoulder them and see how they fit you. All of them would be top of the line. The new T/C Impact might be another one you want to look at. Again, I never put my hands or eyes on one. But it would be fun to look at. I have been checking with T/C about the Impact because there were some rumors of bad stocks, etc. The reason I suggest the Impact is some people do not want to tie up several hundred dollars in a rifle they only shoot a few weeks out of the year.

So reference the Impact, this is what I learned.

I emailed Craig with a series of questions and concerns.

Hello Dave, thanks for the note. I’m also concerned with what you’re hearing regarding the Impact. I’d love it if you could please send some links to what you’ve seen. (I did send him some of the negative comments on the Impact) We have not heard that from the folks that we talk with and in fact, the Impact has performed extremely well in recent field tests by the American Hunter, Guns&Ammo (article attached) and Petersen’s Hunting. The stock is the same composite material used in both the Omega and the Triumph so there would be no difference there. The barrel is actually the same barrel as on the Omegas so again, there should be no difference.

As far as the projectiles, we consistently get the best performance out of our 250gr Shockwave bullet. As you know, each gun seems to have a preference, so shooting a few different bullet weights and grains would determine the best load for the gun.

(I asked what would be a good conical shooter) For conicals, we have a new offering which is the Northwest Explorer. It has a 1:48 twist and due to its design and #11 primer ignition, meets most of the Western States regulations. See the gun here- http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/northwest_explorer.php

Thanks again for your support of T/C products. If I haven’t answered all your products, please just drop an email back to me.

Regards.

Craig Cushman
Director of Marketing
Old 08-18-2010, 06:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

My little TC Omega X7 weighs in at 7 lbs. on the button with a 4X scope mounted. It's 38" long with a 14.5" length of pull. It's a sweet gun to carry and shoots fine. Recoil is quite moderate with a 250 grain Gold Dot over 90 grains of Pyrodex, Triple 7, or GOEX FFFg black powder. Recoil is a little stiffer with my favorite hunting load of 105 grains of GOEX under a 300 grain Speer Gold Dot, but not real bad if you're not recoil shy. The X7 has an excellent recoil pad. I haven't shot light loads with it (something like a 240 grain XTP over 70 or 80 grains of powder), but I suspect it would be a very very soft shooter with a load like that.

Last edited by Semisane; 08-18-2010 at 06:31 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Myself, i have two X7 because they are nice to carry, and they have a wonderful trigger, and they are pretty. One has the factory sights; the other a 4X scope. Several deer have met their demise because of these rifle in my hand. Mine don't shoot as well as Semisane rifle does; they are my favorite.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Out of all the T/Cs i still like the X7 the best and some day......
Old 08-18-2010, 11:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I bought my wife a optmia 2 yrs ago, she has no trouble handling the recoil of it. I load it with 90gr of T7 with a 250gr Barnes expander MZ, the gun shoots very accurate with that load.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.