Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
T/C Triumph vs Bone Collector >

T/C Triumph vs Bone Collector

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

T/C Triumph vs Bone Collector

Old 08-12-2010, 11:51 PM
Spike

Default T/C Triumph vs Bone Collector

Can anyone tell me if it is worth paying the extra $80-100 to upgrade to the bone collector? From what I can tell there are only 3 differences: barrel color, power handle on the rod and the rubber decoration on the sides of the stock. Also a lot of the BCs that I have seen in the stores have had one of the rubber ribs pushed out; is this common? I live in CO and it is illegal to use sabots for hunting; anyone have any suggestions other than the power belt. I have had success with the 295gr PB Aero out of my Remington(took an elk on the move at 125yds w/ iron sights), but just looking for other options in case the Triumph doesn't like them. Also, how are the iron sights on the triumph? Are they the same for both the Triumph and BC? I have problems with my rear sight getting knocked on my Remington and am pretty annoyed by it. CO is iron sight only btw.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

When i moved to a state that had a muzzle loader season, from a state that had none, i took up hunting with a muzzle loader. After reading all i could about rifles, i decided to purchase a Triumph. However, when i went to the store to handle the different rifles, i found that i could not get down on the stock low enough to 'see' the sights. The comb of the Triumph is such that for me, it is too high to work with iron sights, so i ended up purchasing an Omega to hunt with.

What you need to do is try the 2 rifles in your hands, and see if the Triumph will work for you. When the Bone Collector was first in the store, i threw it up a few times, and it seemed like i could get onto the sights much better with it, than the standard Triumph. Your experiences may not at all be the same as mine.

As time went by i eventually purchased a Triumph, but with the idea, i would mount a scope on it. I do like the rifle, but i will only be able to use it during our regular rifle season with a scope mounted. Myself, i would have to purchase the BC, not for the extra frills, but simply because it would work with the iron sights.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:26 AM
Typical Buck

Also one other difference if I remember correctly when I was looking was the barrel on the Triumph was 26" and the bone collector is 28". Dont hold me to that though its still early in the morning here. I went with the bone collector myself.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

As Ron says the comb is better for irons on the Bone Collector, If you are planning normal loads of 110 gr or less the regular Triumph will do fine but if like me you like heavy loads of Blackhorn the Bone Collector makes them much easier to tolerate for recoil.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:28 AM
Fork Horn

For all intents and purpose..nothing!! Purely cosmetic for the most part...the recoil buffers, helps some, the 28 in barrel may increase the velocity some, the T handle just makes it a little easier to load but the main parts are identical..in PA the there's only about a $90 dollar difference for the blue/gray version and around $130 or so for the camo version...
Old 08-13-2010, 08:29 AM
Banned

4 triumps on a forum right now that will not shoot conicals, they are going to try the thors and FPB's as a last resort and see if they will shoot.

You're much better off going to a rifle that has a known history of shooting conicals. The CVA Accura is one of them.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:54 AM
Spike

Looking at them side by side at bass pro the Triumph actually looked longer, but that could have just been the stock, cause I think I read somewhere that the BC has a shorter stock. I will have to find somewhere that has both to check out the combs, but unfortunately no one around here has the camo BC. My regular load for both my rifle and my dads is 100gr of 777 and a 295gr PB, so either will work for me as far as powder goes. Remember I am hunting open sights, so I am comfortable out to 100 and wont shoot over 150, so sub-moa isn't necessary for me, but close to MOA would be nice. The reason I am seriously considering the regular Triumph is because they have the camo one in stock at Gander Mountain for $525, but found a camo BC for $585 with shipping online, so not that big of a difference, but I refuse to buy a rifle through Bass Pro after my last 2 experiences there.

As far as the CVA Accura, I have looked at it and at almost 50% off on midway right now is very tempting, but I have had mediocre to bad experiences so far with muzzleloaders and want to go with a company that I know is committed to the ML industry and will stand behind their products. Also, the CVA barrel problems has me a little worried. They can claim all they want that the problem has been solved, but they weren't open enough about the whole situation for my taste and I don't want to support a company that cuts corners.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:12 AM
Banned

if i told you that the 295gr powerbelt is to small for elk would you believe me?
Old 08-13-2010, 10:03 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
if i told you that the 295gr powerbelt is to small for elk would you believe me?
Dropped one from 125 yards with 100gr load. Bullet hit a rib and split. The larger portion took out lungs and heart and almost made it out the other side you could see it protruding but didnt quite make it out. A smaller piece broke off and I found it in the neck, seems plenty powerful to me. Remember, I'm not taking long shots. We have taken several elk and deer with them without any problems.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:27 AM
Banned

exactly what the problem with the smaller powerbelts and elk are! You are using a 100gr T7 load and short distance shots on a heavy boned animal. That 295gr Powerbelt if it hits shoulder or even rib like you hit, it can fly apart and limit penetration.

got to trust me on this, i shoot and test well over 4,000 rounds a year with powerbelts.

http://gandersmuzzleloadingblog.blog...test-post.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.