Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
What are your Goals for this Fall? >

What are your Goals for this Fall?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

What are your Goals for this Fall?

Old 07-27-2010, 04:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Nope, I wouldn't shoot you...We usually have 6-8 hunters a week come through...I'm the chief cook...That means, I don't usually have to skin...
Old 07-27-2010, 04:45 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for reminding me about the mid-day hunt. I've haven't done it yet, but have seen and heard of some nice bucks taken then !

I was lucky enough to take 2 small bucks with my .50 T/C Omega last year after some very tough hunting. One during our MZ season and the second during our shotgun season. We're allowed to use MZ's during our shotgun season.

This year my goal is to shot a buck with my .45 Disc Elite. I'd like to shoot one with the 185gr Lehigh and another with the Barnes 195gr Expander... just to compare. This gun is just a pleasure to shoot with BH209 and the Lehigh NFPJ conversion !

Good Luck... Rob
Old 07-27-2010, 04:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have been to busy to do some scouting but know the area I will be hunting. I have seen two big bucks and a few big does just driving the access roads. Going to try and get out this week or next and find some good spots for a blind.

My goal is to drop a deer this year, be it the muzzleloader, bow or shotgun.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rafsob
Now as to what I am looking for, is this guy:

I have been hunting this guy for about four years now. He is still around, but he is very - very crafty. Hunting him has been a thrill, pleasure, and an enjoyment. I honestly think that if I succeed in nailing him, I will be sad and happy at the same time.
He looks like a smart ol buck rasfob, Im sure he'll keep you on your toes! I know what you mean about taking a good Buck like that, it's like you lose a part of yourself when he's finally down and then the Hunt is over. It's kind of Bittersweet ending, enough said.
That Bucks got nice G2's, it's what I look for in a good buck, Im sure he'll score nice, mabey around in the 140's with deductions, a better spread and even tines and he'd be up there. A Good Buck though in anyones book.
Good Luck to you and all, and I'll be thinking of you while Im on stand during during the middle of the day wondering if your Trophy is gonna walk by, and mine also.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:40 PM
Fork Horn

I hope to get in a few days of dove shooting in early September, then going to Arizona for a muzzleloading elk hunt in Area 22S in late September that I drew after 10 years of applications. Later, I hope to take advantage of our mid-October muzzleloading deer hunt, then our modern gun deer season from second Saturday of November till right after Thanksgiving, then possibly our December turkey season and our December muzzleloading deer hunt. By that time, I hope to have another 6x6 or better bull elk, a decent whitetail buck, perhaps a few does, and hopefully my first fall turkey. I'll use my Encore 209x50 for the Arizona elk hunt, but I may try the Traditions 50 cal. caplock that I put together this spring from a kit my kids gave me last Christmas, my Remington 700 BDL in .270, my Ruger No. 1 in 7x57, my Interarms .44 Single Action Revolver, the Marlin .44 Mag. lever action I got from an old friend, the Marlin 336 in .30-30 that I got years ago from an old fellow I met while hunting in Arkansas with a friend, or my Ruger Mini-30 for our deer. I always have a hard time deciding what gun to use, because each one has its charm. I handload all my centerfire ammo, and look forward to trying some of the Hornady Leverevolution bullets in the Marlin 336. The Traditions kit was my first effort at putting one together, and I am quite pleased with the final product's wood to metal fit and the finish on the stock. Dove and turkey will both be pursued with my Remington 870 Special Purpose that has been my do-everything shotgun for about the last 20 years. Wow, now I am wondering when I will have time to work!

Last edited by DocHunter; 07-27-2010 at 07:57 PM. Reason: To add info.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dont really have any goals for the upcoming season, but sure would be nice to put a tag on a good one. I have the opening week of ML season scheduled off, maybe a good one will cross my path. Been getting lots of pics on my game cams, nothing big just lots of does and small 8 pointers on down. Hope everyone has a safe upcoming hunting season. Good luck to all.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

First & foremost, I'm going to enjoy every minute I have out in the woods- being cooped up here in the big city does bad things to a person..... After that, I hope to get 1 or 2 deer- a buck would be nice, but I'm hunting primarily for meat, so a couple nice meat does would be just fine.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by oldsmellhound
First & foremost, I'm going to enjoy every minute I have out in the woods- being cooped up here in the big city does bad things to a person..... After that, I hope to get 1 or 2 deer- a buck would be nice, but I'm hunting primarily for meat, so a couple nice meat does would be just fine.
Im with you on that one! I Bow Hunt too and if I dont see a good Buck I wont take a Deer during Archery Season just to say I got one. My Wife also Hunts so Im a Trophy Hunter most of the time, but the Wife does help to fill the Freezer. I wont take a small Buck, a Big Fat Doe Yes! Between the both of us During Hunting Season, Archery, Gun and ML we can take 8-10 Deer and 3 is our Limit to fill the Freezer, were not greedy but we Love to eat Venison!
Good Luck, Im sure you'll fill your Freezer! I cant Imagine what it's like to live in the City, Im sure I would'nt be at home. I love the Country and being able to walk out the Door and drop a Buck in the yard eating apples is one of Lifes Gifts that Im glad I have.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, unfortunately there's not a living for me to be had living out in the woods, so because of work & school me & the wife were forced to move to this overcrowded urban hole they call Chicago. I'm thankful though, that my family still owns some land with a cabin back in Ohio, and I am able to make it back 1 or 2 times a year to enjoy nature. Believe me, I enjoy every second of it- even if I don't come home with a deer!
Old 07-29-2010, 06:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I start to hyper-ventilate as soon as I start getting close to NYC. I am glad to say that I have no more interests up there anymore and am happy.

Hell even now I am starting to get clostraphobia where I am living now. Too many people and new developements going up, yuck! I am thinking of moving to the western part of my state, Virginia.

I love the woods and the peace and quiet that goes with it. Even though, the woods seem to be the loudest place on earth when you are in a tree stand or sitting waiting for ol' Tom.

But I love it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.