Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Shooting rest

Old 10-06-2010, 04:53 AM
Typical Buck

I bought the Caldwell Lead Sled Plus last fall and really like it. It can hold bags of lead shot or two 25 lb iron weights which is what I use.

I have been sighting in my newly scoped .22, a TC Encore and Knight Revolution black powder guns and retesting my 30-06. I can shoot all day and not even know it. Like you, I want to make sure my guns are dead on whether I am or not.

Old 10-06-2010, 11:17 AM
Spike

Default The best shooting rest

Forget the sand bags(used them for years) forget the Lead sled(mine is now for sale)Forget the Caldwell bags and go with the Bulls Bag. I was using my friends Bulls Bag and I shot the best group of anything I have ever shot. This was with a new to me rifle. Did some checking on line and found one to purchase for my self. The kicker was that this bag has a 100%lifetime guarantee. If you are in Vermont and want to come try my Bulls Bag PM me.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bags are easily my choice, and you can make your own sooo cheap. They're quick, handy, and don't stop me from shooting great groups. I don't doubt a good high-dollar rest could take an eighth inch off of my groups at times though. Throw a sweatshirt or something over your stock to take your breathing and heartbeat out of the equation more easily. With a solid rest, the most important part of shooting is pulling the trigger cleanly.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

You don't need anything fancy.Just try to keep the gun/scope as level and steady as possible.I got this on sale and it works great-
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=312090
Even shooting heavy 3" 12g shells and slugs are no problem with some weight in the compartment.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

i use an adjustable front rest and a rear rabbit ear bag. Works for me.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bought the RedHead 2-bag combo, a BIG bag of cheap rice and an oil funnel to fill the bags. A lead sled would be nice, but bags are all you need if you have good control with your trigger finger. Just watch all your shots closely and you'll know whether or not you were on target when the gun went bang. For me, the biggest thing to remember when sighting in is that it should SURPRISE you when the gun goes bang. I know that it is GOING to happen, but not the precise moment.

http://www.basspro.com/RedHeadŽ-2Bag...81311/-1275348
Old 10-07-2010, 08:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

I'm of the opinion that shooting from bags or an adjustable front rest and rear bag is better for building shooting technique than are full rests like the Lead Sled. Those full rests are fine for sighting in or checking a load's accuracy, but are just too far distant from real world field shooting for my taste.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:07 AM
Typical Buck

I really like the bulls bag x-7. It's about $100, but it is very versatile.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:12 AM
Banned

as much as i love my caldwell, it keeps breaking the recoil pad on my Optima. After i order a replacement, that will be recoil pad #3

I hate hurting my rifles like that
Old 10-07-2010, 10:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
as much as i love my caldwell, it keeps breaking the recoil pad on my Optima. After i order a replacement, that will be recoil pad #3

I hate hurting my rifles like that
Don't you think that's telling you something about the forces that are in play when you anchor a gun down like that? Can't be good with constant use.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.