Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
leaving a charge in. >

leaving a charge in.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

leaving a charge in.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Now I think that depends on the situation. If the gun is not primed it has no more chance of going off than a totally unloaded gun. I travel with a loaded but unprimed gun and do not consider it dangerous. I think it would be a good idea to have some way of marking the gun so there are no mistakes made. Maybe a red ribbon tied arround it or something like that. We can have different opinions and still all be sane, or at least half nutz.

Last edited by flounder33; 07-21-2010 at 09:57 AM.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:30 AM
Typical Buck

No need to leave a loaded rifle around the house. Shoot it off and if need be load a different rifle. if i was living up FORBISHER BAY with polar bears around the house yes i would keep a loaded gun in the house ..
Old 07-21-2010, 12:54 PM
Banned

If it aint broke, dont touch it. We leave them loaded until we either shoot something, shoot them off at the end of the 9 day hunt or if we get suck in fouled weather.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Im with Semi. I keep more than one gun loaded in this house. Left a Hawken with 777 loaded for 3 or 4 months and it went boom and hit the target... but again as Semi said..it was clean bore with no caps popped.

As far as loaded ml's... in this state they are only considered loaded if capped.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

in this state they are only considered loaded if capped.
When you think about it, an uncapped muzzle loader is nothing more than a long heavy unprimed cartridge (excluding flintlocks of course, which can fire without prime in the pan).
Old 07-23-2010, 03:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wink

Hey Semi go easy on the boy, he is from Canada and they do things a lot different then we do down here. I think it is the way they get brought up. Or it could be the water, not sure!?!?

__________________________________________________ ____

So let me get this straight, you want me to take the time to load my gun when some scumbags are breaking down my front door during a home invasion and trying to do harm to me and my family. Is this right?

__________________________________________________ ____

Now back to the original question. Back in the old days this was a common habit. But as to today, it wold not be a wise move on your part and an unnecessary one at that. I will leave my ML loaded during the ML season, but will more then likely cleanout my gun if I had a reload in the woods. I don't like nasty and that is what you will get if you let this gun sit for any length of time.

When dealing with black powder or subs, clean is good.