Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
leaving a charge in. >

leaving a charge in.

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

leaving a charge in.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default leaving a charge in.

Do any of you leave a load in at the end of the year untill next season? Why or why not? does it change if you go from black powder to 777 or to blackhorn?
Old 07-21-2010, 03:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

If I am hunting a couple day stretch I will leave my charge in, any longer and I always shoot mine off. I would be a little worried about my bore and I would also not feel as confident in my shot going off if I left it in. I have a hard time thinking of a good reason not to either shoot it off or push it out.
Art

Last edited by flounder33; 07-21-2010 at 04:18 AM.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

I usually load several guns at the beginning of the season. The load stays in the gun until it's shot during the season, or until my first range session with that gun after the season. Sometimes that's a week or two after the season end, sometimes a few months.

As long as it was loaded on a clean dry barrel (and I mean fully clean - no fouling shot - no caps popped) I would have no qualms leaving the load in for a year. In fact, my brother-in-law did that last year with his Knight.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:07 AM
Dominant Buck

no.. I don't leave a load in my rifle. Couple of reasons..

#1 I worry about the bore and do not want to leave the rifle with a load in.
#2 A clean rifle is a happy rifle and a happy rifle owner. It just makes me feel better knowing exactly what is going on in my rifle bore.
#3 I do not like leaving loaded guns around. Too many friends stop over with their little children. Loaded guns are stored in places no one will go to but me. Too easy to forget a loaded rifle.
#4 I always feel better about hunting from a clean bore. I then know the rifle was set up and loaded and there should be no surprises when I pull that trigger.
#5 I shoot too much. No need to leave a loaded rifle around the house. Shoot it off and if need be load a different rifle.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:12 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
no.. I don't leave a load in my rifle. Couple of reasons..

#1 I worry about the bore and do not want to leave the rifle with a load in.
#2 A clean rifle is a happy rifle and a happy rifle owner. It just makes me feel better knowing exactly what is going on in my rifle bore.
#3 I do not like leaving loaded guns around. Too many friends stop over with their little children. Loaded guns are stored in places no one will go to but me. Too easy to forget a loaded rifle.
#4 I always feel better about hunting from a clean bore. I then know the rifle was set up and loaded and there should be no surprises when I pull that trigger.
#5 I shoot too much. No need to leave a loaded rifle around the house. Shoot it off and if need be load a different rifle.
i was going to give my view but after reading the above posting i have nothing to add ...

i think ???? it is unlawfull to store a loaded weapon .?????
Old 07-21-2010, 09:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

I usually load several guns at the beginning of the season. The load stays in the gun until it's shot during the season, or until my first range session with that gun after the season. Sometimes that's a week or two after the season end, sometimes a few months.
What Semisane said. Mine are often loaded for months at a time. They always go bang when they are supposed to.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

i think ???? it is unlawfull to store a loaded weapon .?????
Not hardly (at least in my neck of the woods). However, there are restrictions about transporting loaded weapons in vehicles on wildlife management areas.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:26 AM
Fork Horn

Last year I left a load in for a year because my breech plug tool broke and I couldn't get it out. The next season i went to sight it in and it just made a thump and lobbed out of the barrel. The bullet landed maybe 20 ft in front of me then it bounced somewhere i couldn't find it.

So no i wouldn't leave a bullet in just because i wouldn't when that happening when a deer walks by.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:37 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
Not hardly (at least in my neck of the woods). However, there are restrictions about transporting loaded weapons in vehicles on wildlife management areas.
STUPID and CARELESS is my answere ..
Old 07-21-2010, 09:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by heinz57
STUPID and CARELESS is my answere ..

You talking `bout ME, boy?

(Yes, I choose to have a loaded weapon in my home. If you need one pronto it ain't worth a damn unloaded. A weapon, either loaded or unloaded, cannot be either stupid or careless. However, it may be managed or handled in such a manner. I choose to manage mine in an intelligent and careful manner.)

Last edited by Semisane; 07-21-2010 at 10:02 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.