Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
which muzzle loader is best? >

which muzzle loader is best?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

which muzzle loader is best?

Old 06-17-2010, 02:21 AM
Spike

Default which muzzle loader is best?

I want to spend around $500. on a muzzle loader. Can anyone give me some ideas. I don't wish to buy anything with exchangeable barrels. Thanks in advance
Old 06-17-2010, 03:48 PM
Dominant Buck

Well that is a hard question because everyone has personal favorites. But to answer your question the best I can...

Thompson Center - Omega, Triumph, Encore
Knight - Disc Elite, Disc Extreme
CVA - Accura, Apex
Traditions - Pursuit Pro

all of these seem to get real good reviews. But the best way to decide if that is the rifle for you is to handle as many of them as you can. See if they fit you. See if they are pleasing to the eye to you.

Personally I like the old style rifles but if I had to get a new one it would be an Accura or a Triumph. This is based only on the posts I have read about their accuracy and ease of cleaning.
Old 06-17-2010, 03:54 PM
Banned

Accura V2 is a really nice set up. The new Optima as well and it starts around only $250 so theres plenty of room for scope and rings, along with some bullets and powder.

Like cayugad said, handle as many as possible and see which one fits best.
Old 06-17-2010, 04:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

Cayugad gave you the best advice possible.

But the best way to decide if that is the rifle for you is to handle as many of them as you can. See if they fit you. See if they are pleasing to the eye to you.
Fit to your body style is important. So is personal eye appeal.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

IMO there is no best. There is what is best for you and how/where/what/when you hunt.

All the ones mentioned are fine guns but only you can decide what trips your trigger. Go handle as many as you can and test out the triggers on the ones you prefer IMO.

It doesn't matter though, once you're hooked you will likely end up with a few anyway.

I prefer Knights and newer CVAs but.....
Old 06-18-2010, 03:12 PM
Typical Buck

All of the above information is good. The only thing I might add is to decide where and what you intend to hunt. Some states have restrictions on what is allowed and some rifles like most of the newer Thompson Center ones are a little questionable as to their function with full bore conical bullets. If you are only going to use sabots with smaller bullets then the T/C rifles are great. If you want to shoot full bore sized lead or copper conicals you might be better off with a newer CVA or Knight when Knight gets back in business. Personally I would slant my pick to the CVA Accura. There are a few new rifles slanted towards the restrictions in Washington state and Colorado. I believe Washington requires an open breech with an exposed primer. T/C makes a new style which is an offshoot of the Omega that qualifies as legal for Washington. Good luck picking the right one. I have about six or seven and may get the right one soon
Old 06-18-2010, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Savage 10ml is "the best"
Old 06-18-2010, 07:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

The Savage 10ml is "the best"
Not so DeerandbearhoG, a .54 Lyman Great Plains is "the best".

Ain't no such thing as "the best". There's only the best for you, the best for me, and the best for him - most likely three different guns.

Come to think of it, I have almost a dozen and it turns out that each one is the best on the day I shoot it.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

It literally comes down to what best for you. There are a lot of good rifles out there.
The first thing that is important is the trigger pull length and weather you want a high comb for a scope or a low comb for iron sights.
Then you should consider the style of gun TC Triumph which is a break action with a high comb for a scope and the Omega which is a drop action with a low comb for iron sights. They are both excellent shooters for accuracy but the Triumph is the cleanest shooting with no blowback at all on the ones I have shot.
The Knights are excellent shooters some of there best guns are bolt actions, and with the Lehigh modifications can be very clean, if you want a fairly hefty bolt action the Long Range hunter is a good choice.
Of course if you feel you must monkey with smokeless that calls for a Savage and a great deal of care and a powder scale and weighing each load.
If it is necessary for you to go with the lower price range take a look at the Accura, some people like them.

Last edited by lemoyne; 06-18-2010 at 07:55 PM.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

You need to provide more information. Are you wanting a modern inline, or a traditional rifle?? A flintlock, caplock, or 209 ignition?? These are very important questions. Another question is what are the laws and specifications of firearms in the state or states you want to hunt in?? We need those answers in order to give a good answer. Just my opinion. Tom.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.