Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Which CVA should I get? >

Which CVA should I get?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Which CVA should I get?

Old 06-28-2003, 09:37 PM

Default Which CVA should I get?

I need to buy a muzzleloader for the upcoming season, and I have decided on an inline from CVA, but I' m having a tough time deciding between the Eclipse, hunterbolt, and firebolt. They look almost identical to me, what is the main difference between the three. In Colorado, we can' t use scopes or sabots, so the shots will be under 100 yards. Bottom line, given these paramaters is there a significant reason why I shouldn' t just buy the cheapest of the three? Thanks for your help.
Old 06-29-2003, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Which CVA should I get?

Why not buy a CVA Mountain Stalker side loc?Shots at or under a 100 yards are no problem and alot cheaper, less trouble.
Old 07-01-2003, 07:41 AM
Dominant Buck

I own a Hunterbolt , and don' t reccomend CVA for that reason . The rifles you mention all have tight rates of twist that make them unsuitable for round ball . Add in CVA' s crappy quality control(mine broke it' s triggerspring after the first 12 rounds) , the recent recall for dangerous barrels , and their abominable customer service , and you' d be better off shopping elsewhere . When I tried to get a replacemnt trigger spring I was told that this wasn' t covered by their " limited lifetime warranty" , but that I could get a replacement from a gun shop for $30-40 ! You can get a perfectly servicable inline from Traditions for $100-150 , I own three of them , and they will serve you well . Look for one in a 1 in 48" twist to expand your ammo selection . I have 2 Traditions Buckhunters in .54 cal with 1 in 48" twist , and love them . They can take any Colorado game up to elk and bear at up to 120 yds . You may wish to recheck your game laws , I think Co. does allow sabots now .
Old 07-02-2003, 09:56 AM

I have a hunterbolt, and don' t have a problem with it. My brother in-law has one, and gotten several other people into buying them, and never heard of a problem. I think it is a decent gun and handles pretty well.
Old 07-03-2003, 09:55 PM

i myself have carried a hunterbolt for 2yrs and havn' t been the least bit disapointed ,,,4 dead deer, accuracy decent at the range also..
Old 07-06-2003, 05:47 AM

workhorse I have a cva hunter eclipse mag. that will shoot as good or even better than my t/c inlines .I did have some dealing with there customer service on the breech plug ,had a new one in the mail in 3 days nothing bad to say about there customer service.You can also check out there form by going to cva home page if you need more questions on which model to purchase .good luck
Old 07-06-2003, 09:48 PM
Spike

We got two Hunterbolts last year, and sold a couple of others. Needed warranty parts on one and had no problems with CVA. Cann' t understand why Kevin had the problem as it would surely seem that the trigger spring should be covered. I do not like their plastic thimble for holding the ramrod and if mine breaks I will replace it with a metal one, but I have the equipment to drill and tap which many of you don' t. From various posts here it seems that Traditions puts out a pretty good rifle for the $$, but haven' t had 1' st hand experience. When we bought ours the Firebolt had a longer barrel which is supposed to give better velocity with heavier loads. Frankly I like the shorter barrel, but don' t shoot 150 gr. loads either.
Old 07-07-2003, 09:50 PM

Thanks for the help guys. Today, Cabelas started carrying the new hunterbolt, with a heavier composite stock and a 26 inch barrel. Both of which are positive alterations in my mind. So I ordered one. I think it will be more than adequate for my needs. Thanks again guys.
Old 07-08-2003, 05:29 AM
Fork Horn

I have a Eclipse and have used it for the past 4 years and wanted to get another ML that didn' t take forever to clean so I just ordered the OPTIMA 209 Break action. I can' t wait to get it and send some rounds down range.
Old 07-14-2003, 07:50 AM

I have the hunterbolt. It is a nice rifle and as accurate out to 200 yards as almost any other rifle I have.

One thing you will want to do: Quiet down the safety. It makes a terrible click when released. I just smoothed out the ramp with a dremmel.

Other than that it has been easy to clean, easy to shoot and lightweight.

You can use the powerbelt bullets, right? Those are not saboted, but do have plastic on them. I find that they are the most accurate round for the rifle. Just be sure to patten them in light and heavy weights.

Chubber

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.