Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Blackhorn 209...  that much better? >

Blackhorn 209... that much better?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Blackhorn 209... that much better?

Old 06-06-2010, 07:43 PM
Typical Buck

Default Blackhorn 209... that much better?

I started out using old school black powder. Many of the folks new to shooting modern muzzleloaders have never messed with the stuff. It shoots great, but chances are your wife will not let you (let alone your messy gun) in the house for cleaning.

I went to Pyrodex, which I never cared for much. I didn't think it was worth the switch from BP.

Next was the Triple7. I like the easy cleanup, and it's still what I'm using. I shoot two 50gr pellets under either Shockwaves or Hornady SST-ML's. It's a deer killer, but I don't have the downrange consistency that I think my Optima is capable of.

I started finding articles and reviews of the Blackhorn 209 stuff. I don't think I've found many bad things about it aside from ignition issues due to wrong primers and fouled breech plugs.

What do you all have to say about the stuff? Is it worth driving all around the countryside to find? I'm willing to pay for a can of it if you all agree it's as good as what I've already read. I'll be derned if I'm going to pay the hazmat fees though. I'll wait til I go somewhere that has it first. Let me know if should be the next thing that I try!

thanks-
rw
Old 06-07-2010, 03:20 AM
Spike

Default Bh209

I have run the gamut with various powders, pretty much tried them all. I have now found the combo of BH209 and Winchester 209A primers (hottest shot shell primer on the market) well worth it, and no ignition concerns. Excellent accuracy and cleanup is a snap with just Hoppe's #9. Only thing about BH209......EXPENSIVE!
Old 06-07-2010, 03:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

DougB.

In your post you indicate... Winchester 209A? I am thinking you mean Federal 209A - Winchester makes a W209.

http://www.winchester.com/Products/c...r-primers.aspx

And you are right as good as BH is it is to expensive for me... I am staying with T7 powder.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:09 AM
Spike

Default Bh209

You are right! Federal 209A.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

I guess it depends on a couple of things, when I used 777 I got crudring really bad it was a 5 to 10 minute job just to get the gun clean enough so it could be loaded.
Now my time is limited and when I have some shooting time thats what I want to do not scrub a nasty hard crudring. When I tried Blackhorn and found that not only could I not clean the gun actually groups better that way and according to the records I keep I got rid of 70% of the unaccountable fliers that had occasionally bothered me.
The other item I ran into is that when I did my pressure testing I got the same velocity as 777 but an average of 15% less pressure so the pressure peak is lower and flatter with the same load. which means I can load 15% more and get more velocity. Because of the fact that it is progressive burning rater than a constant burn powder it pushes the heavy bullets better velocity wise than a constant burn powder.
And then there is the supply the local gun shop has it but they also charge about 6 dollars more than I can get it from Powder Valley for including the has mat fee.
The price is a about 3 dollars higher than 777 bought the same way here, of course there many be someone who knows where to get 777 cheaper as I have no interest in the stuff after using Blackhorn.I buy my Blackhorn by the case from powder valley with hazmat and shipping it costs me 27 dollars a can for the last batch I bought.
There are some people who do not get crud ring and there are some who would scrub all day for the difference in price and who are not interested in the fact that you can get more velocity for the same pressure. It really depends on what a person prefers and what they chose to spend there money on. Lee
Old 06-07-2010, 10:43 AM
Fork Horn

I've been using BH209 for 2 years now and its the best powder I have ever used. I use it in my Omega and Endeavor with Win209 primers and haven't had any issues what so ever. Not to mention that its easy to clean up with Hoppe's #9. Get a can, I don't think you will be sorry.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:40 PM
Fork Horn

At the NRA convention 2 weeks ago here in Charlotte the Blackhorn rep told me I could use Blackhorn in my mk85 but just keep lowering the charge till the blowback subsided.I only took 8 shots with it and was using 100 gr equiv loads. I never had a problem igniting using cci 209m primers. The blowback would about fry my face using this load. I have not used it again since Knight and the folks on here warned me not to use it. I wonder if lowering to about 80 gr would be safe as the Blackhorn rep said.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:19 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the input. I found it at a semi-local gun shop for $32 a can. I'm going to try a can when I make it over there. I'll let you all know how it goes!

rw
Old 06-08-2010, 03:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

hunt12ga

Just remember that is $32 for 10 ounces...
Old 06-08-2010, 06:07 AM
Banned

10oz of the best powder you can shoot at the moment IMO.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.