Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Accura, Optima or Wolf, Decisions, Decisions... >

Accura, Optima or Wolf, Decisions, Decisions...

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Accura, Optima or Wolf, Decisions, Decisions...

Old 06-06-2010, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

As I stated, Knight did a terrible marketing job. And as I stated, it is not difficult to get a MZ to shoot. So that makes it more difficult to sell a higher price rifle, no doubt. But My comparison was with a Knight rifle that can be bought for the same price range. So you can compare those.

Are you saying the CVA trigger is completely removable(for cleaning), and fully adjustable?? I do not think so.

Green Mountain Barrels may mean nothing to you. But short of a custom barrel they are by far the best barrels out there. Take a survey on that one, in comparison to a CVA barrel. CVA might get one or two votes out of 10. Heck alot of custom MZ makers use Green Mountain Barrels.

Will a cheaper(in price as well as quality) rifle outsell a more expensive rifle?? No doubt. However I know dozens of guys who now own Knight rifles. I have seen most hunters and shooters trade a CVA in for a new Knight. I can not say I have ever seen a person trade in a Knight for a CVA. That should say it all.

That is like comparing a CVA to a TC Encore. Personally I do not like the Encore MZ, but I do have a few frames and rifle barrels. So I do like the design. And You are right. Your current CVA's might shot as well as the Encore's. But comparing the CVA in quality of construction to an Encore?? No way. The Encore wins hands down.

Now I realize the Encore is not in the price range the OP is talking about. So sorry for going off topic. But a lot of the Knight rifles are in his price range. And IMO they are a much better deal than any CVA he can pick up. Just an opinion. Tom.

Last edited by HEAD0001; 06-06-2010 at 09:24 AM.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:59 AM
Banned

Apex beats the encore without a doubt. Adjustable trigger, much better fitting stock, Bergara barrel, no problems with having to replace lock up springs or spend $200 for a bellm trigger, $300 less than an encore.

The current cva frames are very easy to clean out the trigger mech. Just remove the barrel and one bolt from the stock and spray it out with carb or brake cleaner.

Not to sure why you wanted to start a pissing match. The man asked which CVA he should buy.

The Wolf also is fine with a scope mounted. Im 6'3 and while the originals were quite a bit shorter and harder to get down on, the new model fits like a glove.

Optima though would be my pick to be honest. Its been the easiest gun ever to sight in and get a great number of loads that shoot great.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:21 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by HEAD0001
As I stated, Knight did a terrible marketing job. And as I stated, it is not difficult to get a MZ to shoot. So that makes it more difficult to sell a higher price rifle, no doubt. But My comparison was with a Knight rifle that can be bought for the same price range. So you can compare those.

Are you saying the CVA trigger is completely removable(for cleaning), and fully adjustable?? I do not think so.

Green Mountain Barrels may mean nothing to you. But short of a custom barrel they are by far the best barrels out there. Take a survey on that one, in comparison to a CVA barrel. CVA might get one or two votes out of 10. Heck alot of custom MZ makers use Green Mountain Barrels.

Will a cheaper(in price as well as quality) rifle outsell a more expensive rifle?? No doubt. However I know dozens of guys who now own Knight rifles. I have seen most hunters and shooters trade a CVA in for a new Knight. I can not say I have ever seen a person trade in a Knight for a CVA. That should say it all.

That is like comparing a CVA to a TC Encore. Personally I do not like the Encore MZ, but I do have a few frames and rifle barrels. So I do like the design. And You are right. Your current CVA's might shot as well as the Encore's. But comparing the CVA in quality of construction to an Encore?? No way. The Encore wins hands down.

Now I realize the Encore is not in the price range the OP is talking about. So sorry for going off topic. But a lot of the Knight rifles are in his price range. And IMO they are a much better deal than any CVA he can pick up. Just an opinion. Tom.

Never seen anyone trade a Knight for a CVA? Well now you have. I sold my Knight MK-85 and bought a CVA Optima Pro. It's easier to carry and shoulder, I can get a shot off faster without having to fool with ther Knight's safety systom, it's easier to load and clean, it has a sealed breech, and the Bergara barrel is a real tack driver. No, CVA isn't T/C by a long shot but they've came a long way in the last few years. I'm very happy with my Optima Pro.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

No pissing match here. Just a discussion. But to say that a plastic stock CVA beats an Encore is just plain wrong. Don't ask me. Ask ten other guys which one they would want?? There is no doubt they would all pick the Encore.

Forums are all about discussions. That is just the way it is. If you have a point or can post a fact then you look good. So far you have placed no facts, and not answered to the points that I made about the Knight rifle. Again those points are that the Green Mountain Barrel is a better quality barrel, and the Knight trigger like the one in the MK-85 is a far superior trigger. Let's discuss those facts, not beat around them.

And discuss the fact that almost any hunter or shooter out there would prefer a Knight over a CVA, when it comes to quality. Even though Knight went out of business.

I have handled and shot the CVA's. And as I stated, you can get them to shoot. However I do not want a $2 stock on my firearms. And I do not think it costs more than $2 to make those plastic stocks. Sorry for posting the facts, not opinion. Tom.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:29 AM
Banned

ok if we roll back to the time when the mk85 was the top dog, along with knight, you'd have a case.

green mountain being the best.... Thats your opinion.

$2 stock i believe comes with the Encore. Knight stocks for me is one of the main reasons i can not shoot knight, they seem to be set up more for a scope and i can not get down enough to shoot open sights comfortably. Although the revolution fit me pretty good.

Apex beating the Encore isnt plain wrong, its just a fact that the encore has a great deal of troubles.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Spirithawk
Never seen anyone trade a Knight for a CVA? Well now you have. I sold my Knight MK-85 and bought a CVA Optima Pro. It's easier to carry and shoulder, I can get a shot off faster without having to fool with ther Knight's safety systom, it's easier to load and clean, it has a sealed breech, and the Bergara barrel is a real tack driver. No, CVA isn't T/C by a long shot but they've came a long way in the last few years. I'm very happy with my Optima Pro.
So let me ask you some first hand questions. Would you comapre the trigger on your new CVA to the trigger on the MK-85??

Alot of people traded off the older stlye in-lines for the break action MZ's. And the break action MZ's are easier to clean. And I would bet that is why you traded, for the ease of cleaning. But I would bet money that you did not trade the MK-85 because you could not get the rifle too shoot. And are you saying you would not take an Encore over the CVA?? Tom.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:38 AM
Banned

if you want to talk old school, we can talk about the cva blazer as it to has an adjustable trigger. And was produced in the mid 1970's, quite some time before the mk85 ever was born.

on second thought, whats so big about adjustable triggers? You can buy them for $12 for a sidelock

the encore should come with one though, i stopped on page 10 when i typed in * trigger job for tc encore* into google search.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:47 AM
Spike

If you're debating stocks consider this. I have an early model Encore .270 that came with a very nicely grained walnut stock. That stock now occupies one of my gun drawers, safely wrapped to keep it looking nice. I put a cammo synthetic stock on my Encore first chance I got. Now I love the look of wood, butttt, I hunt in very rugged tough terrain. I also often carry my Encore on my ATV and in some pretty nasty weather. With the synthetic stock my Encore is lighter to carry, being disabled that counts, and I don't have to worry about scaring the stock or the effects of nasty weather on it. That leaves my mind free to concentrate on hunting. I also consider the , " so called plastic stock", on my Optima Pro a plus for the very same reasons. Both types of stocks should be a personal choice for personal reasons. To say one is much better than the other is a bit pointless.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:02 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by HEAD0001
So let me ask you some first hand questions. Would you comapre the trigger on your new CVA to the trigger on the MK-85??

Alot of people traded off the older stlye in-lines for the break action MZ's. And the break action MZ's are easier to clean. And I would bet that is why you traded, for the ease of cleaning. But I would bet money that you did not trade the MK-85 because you could not get the rifle too shoot. And are you saying you would not take an Encore over the CVA?? Tom.
Yes, actually I would. If anything the trigger on my Optima Pro is a bit crisper. There is absolutely no play in it at all. It is very light and comparable to a set trigger.

Noooo, cleaning was just one of the reasons. I didn't like the safety systom on the MK-85. I rifle hunt with an Encore .270 and the Optima Pro operates on the same principle. **** and fire. Often hunting in heavy brush that's a plus.The knight shot very well, but so does my Optima Pro. I get 1" groups at 100 yards using 100 gr. 777 and 230 gr Shock Waves. The Pro is easier to load with it's bullet starting muzzle. The Pro, for me, shoulders and carries better. The Pro has a fluted barrel. The Pro just had more of what I was looking for and needed.

I never said I'd choose CVA over T/C. In fact I own both. I'm a dyed in the wool T/C fan. Have been for 30 years. I've always said CVA copies T/C every chance they get. Still think so. But I'm always looking for something differant and CVA has come a long way recently. Some of their older guns I wouldn't own if they were give to me. In fact I said I don't believe they compare. However they are getting much closer to doing so than ever before and on a budget the CVA is a very good choice. The Optima line is what convinced me. I now own a Optima Elite Compact .50/.243, Optima 209 .50 and an Optima Pro .50.

Last edited by Spirithawk; 06-06-2010 at 11:10 AM.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:40 AM
Fork Horn

Default Compare

I also would take my CVA Accura over an Encore. In fact I have gotten rid of my Knight rifle and also my Tc Omega and now only have CVA in my cabinet. My Accura is twice the rifle as my Omega was. Better looking, better handling, easier cleaning and in my opinion as good or better quality than either my Knight or the Omega. Accura trigger is so much smoother than any TC I have ever fired. Much better accuracy also.
So you keep your Knight and we will keep our CVA's and we will all be happy.

Rogo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.