Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Whats a good price for a New T/C .50 Hawkins Flintlock? >

Whats a good price for a New T/C .50 Hawkins Flintlock?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Whats a good price for a New T/C .50 Hawkins Flintlock?

Old 06-04-2010, 02:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Whats a good price for a New T/C .50 Hawkins Flintlock?

I have the opportunity to buy a new T/C .50 cal Hawkins Flintlock for about $590. Its the standard model with a 28" barrel, QLA, brass, etc. Is this a good price? I haven't looked into their prices in a while and I'm wondering if this is a good deal or not. I see the box was originally marked at $679, but I'm not sure how accurate or long ago that tag was put on there.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks,

-Steven
Old 06-04-2010, 03:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Honestly, it is more than I would pay. I would rather spend $150 less and buy a new Lyman Great Plains Rifle.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is close to the going price for a new one. However I have seen some good deals on used ones. I just saw a rifle that was unfired, but it was an older one. It sold for $300. I thought that was a steal. I can only say one thing about them. They are a darn fine rifle. They are a little high in price, but the quality is there. And you are getting an American made rifle, and not an import. Good luck on your decision. Tom.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:31 PM
Banned

not worth it. $250-$325 for a used one is just as good, there is nothing special about a tc hawken that makes it worth $600

As said before, the Lyman Great Plains offers a nicer rifle for quite a bit less + offered in larger caliber.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:38 PM
Dominant Buck

If you have your heart set on a Thompson Center rifle, especially a flintlock, that is a very fair price for a new in the box rifle. A Thompson Center rifle is a great rifle. They are a very good quality rifle.

If what you want is a good flintlock, there are other brands out there as well. BUT I can sure understand why you'd want a Thompson Center.

Also I agree that there are some real good used Thompson Center rifles out there if you watch the auction sights.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Not any doubt in my mind that a TC is the best especially in a Flintlock. Of course in some things and sometimes people have to get what they can afford. I think the Lyman is a decent quality rifle. There are some custom made rifle that are better than any factory made by far of course the cost is higher to. Muzzle-loading is one of the sports where if you are careful you can get what you pay for.
Old 06-05-2010, 01:10 AM
Typical Buck

Some round ball shooters do not like the QLA false muzzle because it can make loading round balls using standard size patches somewhat more difficult.
Those folks prefer the standard barrels that have rifling all of the way up to the crown at the muzzle.
That's one of the reasons why some traditionalist folks just won't buy a QLA barrel.

Last edited by arcticap; 06-05-2010 at 01:14 AM.
Old 06-05-2010, 05:30 AM
Spike

Don't even look at T/C. The Lyman Great Plains Rifle is the best production gun closest to a custom. I have a .50 Flinter and the quality and accuracy is top notch.
Old 06-05-2010, 01:47 PM
Fork Horn

Default flintlock

http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/eshop/BargainBin.asp

try this link a great price on a very good looking rifle, the flintlock has one of the best looking stocks I have seen on a production gun.

I own 7 TC guns, 1 Encore rifle with a 209x50,and 4 rifle barrels, an Encore pistol with 3 barrels,and of course, my pride and joys, 2 TC Renegade flintlocks in .54 cal, 1 TC hawken in .50 cal, and 2 TC Renegades in .54

So, I guess you can see what my preference is.
Old 06-05-2010, 01:55 PM
Banned

bigboomer probably means this one,http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/es...Code=R911060SK

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.