Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Whats a good price for a New T/C .50 Hawkins Flintlock? >

Whats a good price for a New T/C .50 Hawkins Flintlock?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Whats a good price for a New T/C .50 Hawkins Flintlock?

Old 06-05-2010, 03:49 PM
Spike

Thompson Center rifles are more exspensive for a reason. They have always set the standard for a quallity factory muzleloader rifle. They've made many inovations in centerfire rifles and handguns as well. Thompson Center simply spells quallity. Traditions not really so much so. I've been shooting muzzleloaders over 30 years and I know people that love their Traditions rifle and those that wouldn't own one if they were free. Lyman falls somewhere in between. I've never, ever, heard of anyone who owned a T/C firearm that wasn't very pleased with it. That is why, even used ones, bring good money.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys. I kind of figured the price was going to be about average. I am really looking for a bigger bore (.54 or .58) Hawkins or Renegade, but those seem to be tough to come by. Fox Ridge is going out of business and this was their 'sale price'. Maybe I'll stop by again in a few weeks and see if they are willing to go any lower.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well I stopped back at Fox Ridge yesterday. Both the rifles were still there, but this time with a new price tag. $475. I thought about it for a bit, and then called my dad to see if he wanted one. I walked out of there with the last two they had. I probably could have waited a little longer to see if the price would have dropped more, but I wasn't willing to take the chance of missing out on them at this reduced price.

Now I've gotta start working up a load. I'm really interested to see how I like the double triggers. My Firestorm had the single trigger and I didn't like how tough the pull was. I'm thinking 90 grs of Goex 3F behind a 350 gr Maxi-Hunter will be a good place to start. Any thoughts?
Old 06-26-2010, 08:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

http://www.tjgeneralstore.com/thompson.htm
TCG5049
TC flint lock for 539 near bottm of the page.
Old 06-26-2010, 05:58 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
If you have your heart set on a Thompson Center rifle, especially a flintlock, that is a very fair price for a new in the box rifle. A Thompson Center rifle is a great rifle. They are a very good quality rifle.

If what you want is a good flintlock, there are other brands out there as well. BUT I can sure understand why you'd want a Thompson Center.

Also I agree that there are some real good used Thompson Center rifles out there if you watch the auction sights.
I have to agree with cayugad on that.Midsouth Shooters new price for that rifle is $798 and change.They probably have the lowest price I have seen. If the rifle you are looking at is
TRULY a new one ,that is a good deal.
Old 03-18-2016, 09:22 AM
Spike

Default Back sight roll pin

Originally Posted by lemoyne
http://www.tjgeneralstore.com/thompson.htm
TCG5049
TC flint lock for 539 near bottm of the page.
Dose anyone know what size the roll pin that goes into the rear sight on a tompson center hawkson 50 flintlock rifle is
Old 03-18-2016, 10:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by [email protected]
Dose anyone know what size the roll pin that goes into the rear sight on a tompson center hawkson 50 flintlock rifle is
This site has one. I can't give the direct link, so follow my lead.

Go here.

http://www.thegunworks.com/GunIndex.cfm

On the left click on Custom and Production Guns

Next screen click on Thompson Center

Next screen click on Rifle Parts

Scroll down to Rear Sight Pivot Pin

That's the part you want. Part # 0910.... $1.50
Old 03-18-2016, 05:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

I've owned both the Lyman and the T/C and, having shot flintlocks since around 1970, I've had more ignition trouble with the Lyman than any T/C. The Lyman was just too darn finicky. It's a great looking well made rifle but I want a gun that's going to go bang every time I need it to.
Currently the best production flintlock I have is setting on a Renegade stock. Although it is a standard T/C lock, I ain't ever had one that was so fast and threw so much spark.
But to get back to the post. If you have your heart set on a new T/C Hawken then $590 is a fair price. Used ones in good shape are climbing in price now and from what I've seen they are now averaging around $300

Last edited by bronko22000; 03-18-2016 at 05:06 PM.
Old 03-18-2016, 05:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

New in the box 500 to 550 in some parts of the country 590 is stretching it.
Old 03-18-2016, 05:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

6 year old thread.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.