Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Ballistic Muzzleloading Scopes >

Ballistic Muzzleloading Scopes

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Ballistic Muzzleloading Scopes

Old 05-26-2010, 03:41 PM
Typical Buck

Default Ballistic Muzzleloading Scopes

I'm in the market for a scope with a ballistic reticle for my TC Triumph. I have a few on my mind...Bushnell DOA 250, Cabelas Powderhorn and the Hi-Lux Muzzleloading Scope. Does anyone have pros or cons about the models mentioned. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help in advance! Good shotting!
Old 05-27-2010, 06:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

The one that works best for me [on Triumph and Endeavor] is the Nikon Omega, the BDC trajectory was designed for a 250 gr bullet at about 2100 FPS which is a close fit to some of my hunting loads.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:32 AM
Fork Horn

I have a Bushnell DOA-250 on my Accura. Shooting a 250gr Barnes Spitfire T-EZ bullet pushed by 110gr Blackhorn 209 fired by a 616 Fiocchi 209 primer this scope is dead on at 100, 150 and 200 yards every time. Can't ask for better than that. Does not have circles like the Omega, it has a dot on the 150, 200 and 250 yard crosshairs. Much better than those lousy circles for longer ranges.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:39 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Rogo
I have a Bushnell DOA-250 on my Accura. Shooting a 250gr Barnes Spitfire T-EZ bullet pushed by 110gr Blackhorn 209 fired by a 616 Fiocchi 209 primer this scope is dead on at 100, 150 and 200 yards every time. Can't ask for better than that. Does not have circles like the Omega, it has a dot on the 150, 200 and 250 yard crosshairs. Much better than those lousy circles for longer ranges.
Sure glad to hear this as I have one on order from Natches.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Rogo
That is a matter of opinion, I have both, and do much better on the 250 yd gong and knockdowns with the circle.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:04 AM
Fork Horn

I did not say the Omega was no good, I mearly stated I don't like the lousy circles. Omega scopes are good scopes no doubt about it. But hitting a gong is one thing and shooting a 1" group is another. I prefer to know I can place the bullet where I want it instead of in the general area. Now some can shoot 1" groups with the Omega but I can't. I stated my opinion only and certainly do not want to start an argument.
Question was asked about opinions on certain scopes and I gave mine. Sorry if I offended you.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:26 PM
Typical Buck

I have a Omega and can shoot less than a 1'' group at 100 yards. But after that it is more like a 3'' group. Its not the gun, but the circles. I normally use the mill dots and have had very good luck with them. I just think those circles are hard to figure out. Yea a 3'' is a kill shot, but I like the tight groups. Stay away from the Cabelas Scope. I went through three of them on my old Encore. They're garbage and anyways if you look for an extra hunderd you can pick up a Nikon or a Bushnell. Other thing is that most inlines shot comparable to a 45-70. So you could buy a scope for that caliber. I have a cabelas 45-70 lever action scope for my .450 marlin and that thing is deadly. That scope is only 100 bucks
Old 05-27-2010, 03:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a few of those scopes. I have the Leupold, Nikon, and Burris designs.

I have a Leupold 4.5X14 on my Knight LRH. It has the B&C reticle. And it works very effectively. I would highly recommend this reticle. I have the Burris Ballistic-Plex reticle, and I would rate it second. Not as good as the Leupold, but definitely better than the Nikon.

Then I have a Nikon Monarch with the silly circles. The scope quality is OK. But their circles system sucks(IMO). It is extremely cluttered. I put the scope on a 22 LR and only use the crosshair. If I had to use the circles system I would get rid of the Nikon and buy another Burris or Leupold.

For some reason the Nikon system is popular. But I can not figure out why?? The idea behind the reticle is setting up a precision system for shooting at longer ranges. And the circles just do not allow for that precision. Try the Leupold system. You will like it. Just make sure you spend enough time at the range to know exactly where your rifle is shooting. Tom.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:08 PM
Typical Buck

I bit the bullet today and ordered the Bushnell DOA 250. I'm excited for it! I'll have the opportunity to shoot to 250 yards, but think I will limit myself to 150-200. We'll see how it goes. I need to shoot the thing first. Thanks for the help guys.

P.S. I was almost considering the cabelas scope, but was leary about the reviews. Some seemed happy while others couldn't get the thing to shoot.
Old 05-28-2010, 05:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Troutman
One of the things to remember is how long it takes the bullet to get there, I shoot target at long range but limit my self under normal circumstances to 175 yards so the deer does not have time to take a step.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.