Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Ballistic Muzzleloading Scopes >

Ballistic Muzzleloading Scopes

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Ballistic Muzzleloading Scopes

Old 05-28-2010, 07:16 AM
Fork Horn

As an owner of the T/C Triumph I have some experience with specialized scopes.. Mine has the 3X9 Leupold Ultimate Slam with the DOT's system..I can tell you that the DOT's are right on the money with the 250 grain Shockwave and 3 (50) grain pellets.. I've shot it out to 300 yards and could not ask for any better aiming points..they are right on the money...can't speak for or against any of the others but I'd find it hard to believe they could be any better the Ultimate Slam..it's even set up for 3 pellets if you want to tone it done some..amazing..
Old 05-29-2010, 03:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Rogo
I did not say the Omega was no good, I mearly stated I don't like the lousy circles. Omega scopes are good scopes no doubt about it. But hitting a gong is one thing and shooting a 1" group is another. I prefer to know I can place the bullet where I want it instead of in the general area. Now some can shoot 1" groups with the Omega but I can't. I stated my opinion only and certainly do not want to start an argument.
Question was asked about opinions on certain scopes and I gave mine. Sorry if I offended you.
Lee referenced 250 yard shooting in his post. I'd love to know how you're shooting 1" groups at 250 with a muzzleloader....
Old 05-29-2010, 03:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Nikon Omega on my Endeavor and love it. Very easy to use once you figure out where the circles are going to put the bullet. If you plan to shoot the exact load the reticle was designed for, then that's fine. But if you're like most smoke pole guys, you'll wanna play with different powder charges and bullet weights. If that's the case, it'll take some testing to tell where the marks on the reticle will place the shot.
Old 05-29-2010, 06:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

I used to shoot bench competition and one of the things that some people don't notice is if you can see the target you get the best group at long range. I guess it has to do with how you use it and what you like.
And if he can shoot a one inch group he has me beat, I have to work hard to keep a 4 inch group at 250.

Last edited by lemoyne; 05-29-2010 at 06:12 AM.
Old 05-29-2010, 01:22 PM
Fork Horn

To begin with I never stated I could shoot a 1" group at 250 yards. After re-reading my post I can see where you might get that idea and I apologize for that. I meant a 1" group at 100 yards which I could not do with my Omega scope due to the circles. At my age the circles are not acceptable to me. A crosshair with a dot is preferred and that is why I got rid of the Omega and went with the Bushnell DOA. I can however shoot a 1" or less at 100 yards and 1 1/2 inch or less at 200 yards with my rifle and load that I have worked up for it. Took some time to get there but that's how it works for me. I have never shot at 250 yards with my ML and do not intend too, even for fun.
As far as bench shooting is concerned, I also have done a lot of competition shooting in my younger years out to 500 yards with a centerfire rifle. I have a few small trophies around the house from that. Nothing too brag about but I am happy with them.

Now SW instead of being so sarcastic about it you could have politely asked "How do you shoot 1" groups at 250 yards with a muzzleloader?". Then I could have explained my error and kept the peace. But no, as usual on a forum you get some "experts" that are as rude as can be and ruin any normal discussion.

Lee, I hope you understand my explanation and accept my apologies.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Rogo
To begin with I never stated I could shoot a 1" group at 250 yards. After re-reading my post I can see where you might get that idea and I apologize for that. I meant a 1" group at 100 yards which I could not do with my Omega scope due to the circles. At my age the circles are not acceptable to me. A crosshair with a dot is preferred and that is why I got rid of the Omega and went with the Bushnell DOA. I can however shoot a 1" or less at 100 yards and 1 1/2 inch or less at 200 yards with my rifle and load that I have worked up for it. Took some time to get there but that's how it works for me. I have never shot at 250 yards with my ML and do not intend too, even for fun.
As far as bench shooting is concerned, I also have done a lot of competition shooting in my younger years out to 500 yards with a centerfire rifle. I have a few small trophies around the house from that. Nothing too brag about but I am happy with them.

Now SW instead of being so sarcastic about it you could have politely asked "How do you shoot 1" groups at 250 yards with a muzzleloader?". Then I could have explained my error and kept the peace. But no, as usual on a forum you get some "experts" that are as rude as can be and ruin any normal discussion.

Lee, I hope you understand my explanation and accept my apologies.
Well just like you, I can see where you may have read my post and assumed I was being sarcastic. I really meant that I would love to know... I really need to remember to use the smilies on the side...

But as for your Omega experience... You're not suppose to use the circles at 100 yards. That may have been where you went wrong with that scope. You're suppose to use the crosshairs above the circles.
Old 05-30-2010, 06:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

And a 1 inch group is the minimum acceptable for a lot of us in this group but .5 is special and under that is terrific.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:02 AM
Fork Horn

My vote goes to the Burris Fullfield II with the ballistic plex. I think it is the best $200 scope you can buy. So far have been shooting out to 200 yards with it. Gonna get another one but with LRS as I do alot of low light shooting. Only problem is that price jumps up quite a bit. SWFA has then for $339.