Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
250gr Slick Load Sabots >

250gr Slick Load Sabots

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

250gr Slick Load Sabots

Old 07-01-2010, 11:08 AM
Banned

Default 250gr Slick Load Sabots

Everyone ever try these? I got 6 packages to try out in the rifles and today i started with them in my Accura. They really are a slick loading sabot, they load with just a little more pressure that a powerbelt. I was reading on the package that they use a pure lead core so thats going to be interesting when i shoot them into some wet sand and see what they do. Im using 100gr blackhorn209 and just got it 1 1/2" high at 50 yards. Will be interesting to see how they do at 100 yards!

Old 07-01-2010, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

What is the bore size of your accura (land to land)?
Art
Old 07-01-2010, 01:55 PM
Banned

Its hard to measure the Accura's bore due to the rifling design. Its somewhere between .500 and .501" I use the .500" Thors in it.
Old 07-01-2010, 03:47 PM
Banned

Well the Slick Loads shoot awesome. I did find that they shoot a heck of a lot tighter when you lightly push them onto the powder. I fired 3 shots with light pressure and then 2 with very firm pressure and those 2 shots opened up big time. Im using 100gr blackhorn209 so i think next time i will up it to 110gr and see how it goes.

just added these last night, these are the durasight quick detach scope mounts.

I did recover 7 of these bullets and they are made of soft pure lead. They are basically a powerbelt without the nipple/skirt. I did some testing today and these load easier than powerbelts, you can start the bullet with 2 fingers on the range rod and then seat it with one finger, very smooth loading. I recovered with of the sabots as well. Just have to take some pictures right now.

Tomorrow i will be setting up my sand box to play in and do some wet sand testing to see how well these hold up.
Old 07-01-2010, 03:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Do you know how heavy you can get them slickloads? My gonic has a real tight bore. I'm always looking for something to shoot out of it. Also do you know what the retail price of them is?
Art
Old 07-01-2010, 04:26 PM
Banned

ive seen them on sales for around $17-18 but they normally run $22+

300 grains is the max weight.