Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Question about Lyman GPR ball/patch sizes >

Question about Lyman GPR ball/patch sizes

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Question about Lyman GPR ball/patch sizes

Old 05-17-2010, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Chet!

I have been giving this some though, but did not want to post until I was able to test my theory. Well here goes anyway...

Maybe the powder is not dropping all the way to the bottom of the barrel. Then as I push ball and patch down, the powder granules are getting wedged in between the rifling and the ball/patch. Basically acting like a door jam, the wedged powder is what is causing the resistance. What I have also noticed is that the resistance while running the ball/patch down the barrel is not even. That is at some parts it is really tough and then it will be easy. Almost as if the barrel has widened, which I do not think is the case.

I haven't had a chance to test this theory, was planning on doing that later in the week and reporting back. After pouring the powder, I am going to run just a patch down first. The idea is to make sure all the powder gets pushed down first and then run the ball/patch to see if I encounter as much resistance.

Details to follow...
Old 05-17-2010, 01:42 PM
Fork Horn

Wait a minute. You said you were pushing the load down with your cleaning jag on the end of the ramrod? If you get the patch caught between the jag head and the barrel it will give you grief.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:46 PM
mountaineer magic

Originally Posted by RobertSubnet
Thanks Chet!

I have been giving this some though, but did not want to post until I was able to test my theory. Well here goes anyway...

Maybe the powder is not dropping all the way to the bottom of the barrel. Then as I push ball and patch down, the powder granules are getting wedged in between the rifling and the ball/patch. Basically acting like a door jam, the wedged powder is what is causing the resistance. What I have also noticed is that the resistance while running the ball/patch down the barrel is not even. That is at some parts it is really tough and then it will be easy. Almost as if the barrel has widened, which I do not think is the case.

I haven't had a chance to test this theory, was planning on doing that later in the week and reporting back. After pouring the powder, I am going to run just a patch down first. The idea is to make sure all the powder gets pushed down first and then run the ball/patch to see if I encounter as much resistance.

Details to follow...
I haven't had that problem but I always give the barrel 3 or 4 good slaps to make sure the powder settles down good.

Old 05-17-2010, 02:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you get the patch caught between the jag head and the barrel it will give you grief.
It will?

Hhmm...something else to try. I have always used jag heads in the past.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:42 AM
Fork Horn

You can use a jag end to seat the ball. That is all that I have ever used. Never had a problem.
You might try - just to see - putting a thin cardboard/fiber wad down the barrel after the powder is in and before you seat the PRB.
Ditto the advice about thicker patches. I have the GPR as a .50 and 0.010 patches give fine accuracy out to 100 yards. I do have a .54 barrel but it is a smoothbore; PRBs in that get a tight patch but since there are no lands or groves to fill, the thickness is not what you'd expect, usually a 0.010" (again) and a .530 RB (though I am always working on it.)
Pete
Old 05-18-2010, 09:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys. Looks like I will be spending some time at the range this week to figure out this problem.