Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Added some bullet expansion pics >

Added some bullet expansion pics

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Added some bullet expansion pics

Old 05-16-2010, 09:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by sabotloader
Chap

Part of the reasoning behind Widners sale is that Nosler is no longer going to offer the Handgun Partitions... They will continue to make and sale the .458/300 grain partitions... but the 451's are gone.
And if you notice the price on Wideners for the Partition 300gr .458, you will see its over $48 per 50. So that appears to be correct.

Ive heard from other sources too that the Partition handgun series is basically gone.

As for Speer, they have contracts including military and other ammo companies they are trying to fill/complete. SO we re loaders or ML shooters are still waiting for our part of the pie.

They announced the DeepCurls series last year and i still cant get a single box with the new label. My local gun shop still cant get any but they do have a few of the older "Unicore/GoldDots". They cant get any 40s over 180gr either and the only 180s they can get are XTPs.

Luckily i just scored 600 Monatana Gold 40-180gr JHPs for under $14/100 plus tax from a local LLC reloader. Beats the hell out of $20+ for the 40-180 XTPs and IMO its a better bullet.

Even the gun show yesterday had very little heavier 40-45 caliber bulk bullets but i did score 100 .458-325gr FTX bullets for only $35 OTD.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

Gm54-120

I just bought four boxes of the 40/180 Gold Dots @ Wholesale Sports yesterday - so they are starting to resurface in the Pac Northwest again. Still in the Gold Dot box.

Also when the Gold Dots were listed on the Speer Web Site they were always listed as a Handgun Hunting bullet - not a home defense bullet or personal protection bullet.

Are there not some new rules/regulatons about what and how a 'Home Defense' or 'Personal Protection' bullet has to preform. A good friend of mine is a Concealed Weapons instructor and he indicated to me the other day that you might/should not shoot hand loaded bullets for home defense as you might find yourself in court.

The current or soon to be current 452/250 'Deep Curl' will have the same deep hollow point and the 300 grain will continue with the shallow nose to raise BC of the bullet.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

sabotloader

You are correct, it isnt a good idea to use your own hand loads for home defense BUT i have a LLC reloader that will load whatever bullet i want and make it harder for me to suffer that possible liability.

If/When asked you answer, " This is what the gun shop recommended and so i bought it (loaded ammo) from them". I dont know anything about how it works.

If you use the same components as the original loaded ammo, proving malice could be difficult in court but all my HD ammo is bought not hand loads with records to back it up.

I have seen ammo companies use the GoldDots and label them as Home Defense and Speer used to separate them on their website too into Hunting and Defense categories.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 05-16-2010 at 10:58 AM.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

Gm54-120

Thanks for the information.. i really wonder how many Americans even know this information or the possibilites of the liabilities that go along with the use of the different ammunition.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Gm54-120

Thanks for the information.. i really wonder how many Americans even know this information or the possibilites of the liabilities that go along with the use of the different ammunition.
I am actually very passive/restrained about using lethal force and will retreat into the "safe" room if confronted. If you attempt to enter that part of the home all bets are off. I gave you a chance to leave alive and you failed to take it.

There will be a shotgun with "approved" loads aimed at the door and a backup option if that failed.

This is only how i feel about defending MY home/life, i fully support how you want/need to defend yours.
Old 05-16-2010, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for all the wisdom on this. Chap

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
And if you notice the price on Wideners for the Partition 300gr .458, you will see its over $48 per 50. So that appears to be correct.

Ive heard from other sources too that the Partition handgun series is basically gone.

As for Speer, they have contracts including military and other ammo companies they are trying to fill/complete. SO we re loaders or ML shooters are still waiting for our part of the pie.

They announced the DeepCurls series last year and i still cant get a single box with the new label. My local gun shop still cant get any but they do have a few of the older "Unicore/GoldDots". They cant get any 40s over 180gr either and the only 180s they can get are XTPs.

Luckily i just scored 600 Monatana Gold 40-180gr JHPs for under $14/100 plus tax from a local LLC reloader. Beats the hell out of $20+ for the 40-180 XTPs and IMO its a better bullet.

Even the gun show yesterday had very little heavier 40-45 caliber bulk bullets but i did score 100 .458-325gr FTX bullets for only $35 OTD.
Old 05-16-2010, 05:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had not heard anything about this. What is too lethal an SD load or somewith with a gun shooting back at you?
Chap

Gm54-120