Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Sabotloader bullet loan >

Sabotloader bullet loan

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Sabotloader bullet loan

Old 05-09-2010, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

ronlaughlin,
I explained my findings above, and mine only. Sorry if they don't equal yours.

BTW- You need to read again. The bullet that doesn't expand sometimes is the SST. Not the Nosler. As i clearly pointed out, i have not used the Nosler on game or even shot them. I only comment on bullets that i have used on multiple kills. Not a bullet that i never used.

Last edited by Grouse45; 05-09-2010 at 06:03 PM.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

ronlaughlin

You might be really surprised @ what the brass bullet does in a real animal. I know it surprised me - it is a lot more effective than you might give it credit for.

I have only harvested one animal with a Lehigh last season and I do not consider that a good test for the bullet as I did not get the shot I wanted. It ended up being a neck shot and the buck dropped dead in it's tracks - but I am thinking any bullet hitting that would have resulted in the same result.

But, i have spent a lost of time investigating the bullet and it's performance and I am convionced to give it a try again this season.

The bullet you were using is specifically designed for a 45/70/90/120 - that is why the deep grooves on the brass. It has really been successful on buffalo here in the states. Other tests have been run by other hunters including Grouse who has harvested several animals with them but that is beside the point. The real point is what or how it might work for you or anyone else that chooses to give it a try, including myself.

Here is a gel test of the Lehigh... nothing real dramatic but does show it works....

From this test I was confident you would find penetration to be OK...

This is pretty graphic evidence of the Lehigh operating in an animal - but inside an animal it apprears to do what it was designed to do. Top right picture is the enter hole as it passed through a rib.

Ialso have an article written and published in the 2009 Guns Digest magazine with results of shooting 45-70's at African game. It is a 4 page article so I did not brign it over but if someone might be interested - I could sent it to you.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
thise poibt barnes only was pushed by 105gr pyrodex and hit a deer at 175 yards. Point barnes open up greatly.

What did you shoot before the lehighs?
Before the Lehigh's was the 275grn Parker Ballistic Extreme's. They worked about as good as any. I did witness two animals in Texas with the 250grn lost and no blood. Very sad and i was shocked at the results.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:07 PM
Fork Horn

I used 300 grain Barnes Expander MZs this past year and got one deer. It was a pass thru and the blood spray was dramatic. They were also slightly more accurate out of my Omega than the 300 grain Shockwave super glides I used. Both are very accurate bullets and get the job done. This year I am going back to my SWs or XTPs simply because the difference in perferemance on deer is not worth the difference in price in my book and I only have one Barnes left.