Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Oink Oink, Squeeeeel, Bang, Bang, Bang, Bang, Bangx5 >

Oink Oink, Squeeeeel, Bang, Bang, Bang, Bang, Bangx5

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Oink Oink, Squeeeeel, Bang, Bang, Bang, Bang, Bangx5

Old 05-04-2010, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for sharing great memories with your family.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:28 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by deer655
What a hunt and you got to do it with family and friends; does'nt get any better then that. I was amazed when you mentioned 17 cal for hogs. I wouldnt of thought that little bullet would of done the job but I guess shot placement is what matters. Whats the difference between a 17 rem and a 17hmr or are they the same bullet? Congratulations on a great hunt.
.17 rem is a wildcat centerfire based off of a .223, the hmr (as you probably already know) is a wildcat rimfire based off of a .22 mag, big difference
Old 05-04-2010, 09:06 PM
Typical Buck

Left to right. .17 HM2 (Mach 2), .17 HMR, .17 fireball/mach IV, .17 REM

Old 05-05-2010, 06:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

Congrats on the porkers. Good shooting.

i own a piece of property about 10 miles from Pauls Valley, OK. Thanks to the U Ranch, the entire area is now over run with wild hogs. Those wild hogs have had a very adverse impact on the deer population in that area. We have killed and trapped 27 wild hogs off our place and the neighbors place since the first of the year.
Old 05-16-2010, 02:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by falcon
Congrats on the porkers. Good shooting.

i own a piece of property about 10 miles from Pauls Valley, OK. Thanks to the U Ranch, the entire area is now over run with wild hogs. Those wild hogs have had a very adverse impact on the deer population in that area. We have killed and trapped 27 wild hogs off our place and the neighbors place since the first of the year.
Dude, I live in OKC and have hunted all over the state. I hardly doubt one ranch is solely responsible for the infestation of hogs in your area. Our state has had too many hogs for quite awhile.

I've learned to see them as another game animal like deer. The good thing about hog hunting is no license, no limits, no seasons.

Oh.. and to the OP great story and congrats!!!
Old 05-16-2010, 02:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

I hardly doubt one ranch is solely responsible for the infestation of hogs in your area.
Strange that there was no wild hogs in that part of OK until U Ranch started buying hogs and turning them loose all over the place. Saw the first hog on our place in Garvin county in late 2006. Now they are all over the place and the deer are getting scarce.

When the hogs come in the deer leave. Given a choice, deer do not like to drink from a pond that hogs frequent. i've watched hogs run deer off the game plots and away from feeders.

Most of my hog hunting is done in Comanche, Cotton and Tillman counties. Last year i shot well over 40 wild hogs last year and trapped more while working full time.
Old 05-16-2010, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by falcon
Strange that there was no wild hogs in that part of OK until U Ranch started buying hogs and turning them loose all over the place. Saw the first hog on our place in Garvin county in late 2006. Now they are all over the place and the deer are getting scarce.

When the hogs come in the deer leave. Given a choice, deer do not like to drink from a pond that hogs frequent. i've watched hogs run deer off the game plots and away from feeders.

Most of my hog hunting is done in Comanche, Cotton and Tillman counties. Last year i shot well over 40 wild hogs last year and trapped more while working full time.
That may be, but that doesn't mean they are the only ones doing it. There are plenty of hunters who release them all over to get populations started. Now, they may be part of the problem, but I doubt they are the only culprit. More and more hunters want them around, because of the no season, tags, limits etc..

Deer season with a gun is only a few weeks with blackpowder included. Whereas, you can hunt hogs with rifles whenever anyone feels like it. This is the real reason why everyone wants to hunt them.

If they are starting to take over, start dropping the hammer on them. That's the reason the state allows no seasons, no licenses, no limits. They may run off some deer, but all you can do is try to limit their population. Trust me, there will still be plenty of deer to hunt.