Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Uh-Oh!  The Virtuous Cousin Is Naked >

Uh-Oh! The Virtuous Cousin Is Naked

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Uh-Oh! The Virtuous Cousin Is Naked

Old 04-08-2010, 09:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Uh-Oh! The Virtuous Cousin Is Naked

Well guys, I had another "hit" on one of my sidelock fishing jugs and picked up an old .50 TC Hawken dirt cheap. The barrel was a little pitted, but not too badly, and the lock had a broken tumbler shaft (how the heck did that happen?) and missing fly. The stock is excellent. I sent the lock to TC and they repaired it at no cost even though I told them it was broken when I bought the gun. They even put a new hammer on it.

Anyway, I pulled the (15/16") .50 caliber GM LRH barrel out of the Virtuous Cousin's Renegade stock and put it in the Hawken stock. That barrel is still a virgin.

Here it is.

Looks pretty good, huh?

Did you notice the adjustable Vernier rear sight? I picked that up at a gun show many, many years ago and never put it on a gun.

This Hawken stock is one of the old ones with a drilled and tapped hole centered between the two tang screws. When I saw that I remembered that Vernier sight was somewhere out in the shop, so I dug around and found it. It fit perfectly and hooweee, does it ever work GREAT with the GM fiber optic front sight. I've never been able to use F/O sights before, but the 5/64" aperture not only makes that front sight visable for me - it makes it SHARP. Still won't be much use in low light though.

Do you want to guess what I'll be shooting at the hunting lease this week-end?

Last edited by Semisane; 04-08-2010 at 09:56 AM.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:24 AM
Fork Horn

It looks really good and I really like the rear sight. I dont know jack about these kinds of black powder rifles but why does it have two triggers.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:43 AM
Dominant Buck

The back trigger is a set trigger. **** the rifle, pull the back set trigger and it turns the front trigger in to a hair trigger for more control shooting.

Nice looking rifle there Semisane. You and Sabotloader just keep buying rifles. Makes me feel real good.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:22 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by cayugad
The back trigger is a set trigger. **** the rifle, pull the back set trigger and it turns the front trigger in to a hair trigger for more control shooting.

Nice looking rifle there Semisane. You and Sabotloader just keep buying rifles. Makes me feel real good.
Oh ok thanks. That's cool I've never seen anything like that before.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:43 AM
Typical Buck

Nice gun. Wish I could find a TC dirt cheap.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by LifexIsxHunting
Oh ok thanks. That's cool I've never seen anything like that before.

Cayugad beat me to the punch LIS, and gave you an honest and correct answer (seems to be a habit of his). I was going to tell you that pulling the rear trigger reloads the gun.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

You and Sabotloader just keep buying rifles. Makes me feel real good.
Well Cayugad, I don't know about Sabotloader, but I'm pretty near done.

Of course, the Virtuous Cousin is now nothing more than an empty stock. Poor naked thing - she needs a barrel. What she really needs is a 1:70 twist .58 caliber Green Mountain barrel. I'm looking.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

Wish I could find a TC dirt cheap.
You've got to put out some jugs 50calty. You might be amazed at what turns up. If I told you what I gave for that stock you probably wouldn't believe me.

Last edited by Semisane; 04-08-2010 at 01:26 PM.
Old 04-08-2010, 02:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

Semi - cayugad...

I was done a long time ago... I even said I was... it is just sometimes things just fall in your lap...

Nice looking setup Semi... you know if we combined our collections we might be really close to what Dave has....
Old 04-08-2010, 03:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yep! We would be pretty near halfway there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.