Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Which cleaning solution to use between shots? >

Which cleaning solution to use between shots?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Which cleaning solution to use between shots?

Old 04-06-2010, 06:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by sabotloader
Gm54-120

Can not figure out why you would add water... Windex is probably 95% water... and you are wanting the ammonia to evap and carry water with it in the evaporation process...

I can understand FG adding water he is always doing weird things... and there is not explanation...
Actually i dont add water but if you add any simple green then adding a bit of water is ok. Mainly though i dont swab much with BH209 and less often if i use JSG either. I got some T7 to burn so i will see how it works after using the bore shine and conditioner. JSG though does clean up fine with just about anything water based.

Ive experimented a little and the best has been the cheap Dollar Store Windex off brand that probably has more water in it.

I use mostly Hoppes, JB or Montana Extreme products now and only pull out the glass cleaner patches for a quick wipe after about 20-30 shots of BH209 (usually dry patch though) or if i use JSG or T7 for final clean up too.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 04-06-2010 at 08:05 PM.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:24 AM
Fork Horn

Just a note - about "adding" water or not. ALL of the solutions mentioned - Windex, Simple Green, Ammonia, rubbing alcohol, Denatured alcohol, etc. - contain water. Some are 95% water (Windex), some very much less (denatured alky can be less than 1%). Between shots, I want less.
Pete

Last edited by Pete D.; 04-07-2010 at 03:29 AM.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:38 PM
Spike

Hmmm....I wonder how "Heat" would work??
Old 04-09-2010, 12:32 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Problem Child
Hmmm....I wonder how "Heat" would work??
Pretty well. "Iso Heet" is 99% Isopropanol (Isopropyl alcohol)(Red Label)
Heet - yellow label - is methanol. (wood alcohol).
Both are generally more expensive than Denatured alcohol - which is ethanol (ethyl alcohol) and not any more effective.
Pete