Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Range Report - TC Encore vs. Knight Revolution >

Range Report - TC Encore vs. Knight Revolution

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Range Report - TC Encore vs. Knight Revolution

Old 04-03-2010, 02:53 PM
Typical Buck

Default Range Report - TC Encore vs. Knight Revolution

I got my Knight Revolution and my wife's TC Encore Pro Hunter to the range today. I shot them off a Lead Sled. So lets start with the ever important pics:

I have a Nikon Omega 3x9x40 BDC 250 on both guns. One in black and one in camo. So far I like the scope, but will have to get them in low light to know more.

I like the Lead Sled, though it isn't perfect. It let me shoot nearly 20 rounds today without a sore shoulder.

As far as the shooting goes, I think I might give the edge to the Knight. It has just a little travel in the trigger but is pretty light. The Encore has no travel and a fairly stiff trigger. I will have to get them out of the rest to really compare them on the shoulder. The stock on the Encore is supposed to know 40% of the felt recoil off.

The Encore was more consistent shooting than the Knight. I had 3 rounds touching at 100 yards. With the Knight, I have quite a wide spread. I may have to change bullets and/or powder on the Knight. I was really hoping to get both guns working with the same bullet and powder (2x50gr pellets). I was using a Hornady 250 gr sabotted bullet. It claimed easy loading and it was compared to the Knight bullets I started with. It loaded much easier in the Knight though.

When it comes to cleaning, the Encore wins hands down. There is virtually no fouling inside the action. The Knight has smoke roll out and fouls the action and trigger assembly. The Encore, of course, has no real trigger assembly to clean. The breach comes out of the Encore easily as well with the speed breach.

Over all, I really like both guns and look forward to getting back to the range to finish dialing them in. I really look forward to getting in the field with them.
Old 04-03-2010, 02:55 PM
Typical Buck

BTW, I have cleaned the breach plugs but now you can't see daylight through them. How do you get the fouling out of the fire channel?
Old 04-03-2010, 03:27 PM
Typical Buck

Couple more things; the breach plug tool from Knight has a flathead screwdriver end on it for taking out the screw that holds the forestock and the Encore does not. The Encore does have a pin to make a T-handle with the breach plug tool where the Knight does not. Wouldn't it be nice if both had both? Also, the Encore forestock has two screws and one is slight longer than the other. If you put the long one in the hole closest to the end of the gun, it interferes with the rod.

Another comment on the cleaning; the Encore breach plug has an indention like a cylinder head (curves inward) and is a little tough to clean. The Knight actually curves outward and is easier to clean.
Old 04-03-2010, 05:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ADVWannabee
BTW, I have cleaned the breach plugs but now you can't see daylight through them. How do you get the fouling out of the fire channel?
1/8" drill bit hand turned.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:32 PM
Banned

screw driver or not, it'd be impossible to remove the TC's barrel without a hammer and punch.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

ADVWannabee

I make these little tools to clean the carbon out of the flash channel in the breech plug.....

Old 04-04-2010, 03:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

try 777 2f loose powder in the Revolution
I have one & it would group at all with the pellets.
90 grains shoots the best in mine
Old 04-04-2010, 04:00 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
screw driver or not, it'd be impossible to remove the TC's barrel without a hammer and punch.
I found that out too. I had hoped with time it would get easier but I guess not.
Old 04-04-2010, 05:26 AM
Typical Buck

To clean my breach plugs I bought Thompson centers breach cleaning tool. I think it cost around $6 and fits all my different plugs. All though i'm sure others cost less that just what I bought. Nice setups on both guns and a Knight is next on my list of guns to buy. Just want to wait and see where they go with the new ownership.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

i don't take the barrel and forend off my Encore after every range session. After the last shot is fired at the range; i run a patch saturated with Windex with vinegar into the bore and leave it wet.

At home the breechplug is removed, thoroughly cleaned and greased. The bore is cleaned using patches and Windex with vinegar. The breech face is sprayed Hoppes and swabbed with Q-tips. The bore then gets a patch moistened with Rem-Oil.

The breechplug is installed. Elapsed time: Less than 10 minutes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.