Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Shooting @ the Rock Pit >

Shooting @ the Rock Pit

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Shooting @ the Rock Pit

Old 03-23-2010, 07:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
Breechplug

Needless to say I am pretty happy with the results - blowback wise and accuracy... Now it is just so dang long till October 10...
Mike, when you say Deer, do you mean Elk? or do you Hunt Whitetail's also? Your Lucky Oct 10th were not even into Bow Season yet. We have to wait till Nov 21st till we can Hunt Deer.
It'll be here befor we know it, ya know how time flys by when you get Older!LOL
(BP)
Old 03-23-2010, 07:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

Breechplug

Yep! good ole Whitetail...

In Idaho I'll hunt with the 45 during rifle season but have to switch to a 50 during ML season and the minimum for elk is a 50.

The other thing if I have to hunt elk during the regular rifle season I also would use a 50 also.

Our bow hunters have an awful strong lobby in Idaho and have almost completely screwed rifle hunters out of the early Elk season during the peak of the rut. We do not get to hunt elk until the tail end of the rut.

Last edited by sabotloader; 03-23-2010 at 07:24 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
Breechplug

Yep! good ole Whitetail...

In Idaho I'll hunt with the 45 during rifle season but have to switch to a 50 during ML season and the minimum for elk is a 50.

The other thing if I have to hunt elk during the regular rifle season I also would use a 50 also.

Our bow hunters have an awful strong lobby in Idaho and have almost completely screwed rifle hunters out of the early Elk season during the peak of the rut. We do not get to hunt elk until the tail end of the rut.
That's great, you get to Hunt em both, but of Course you like to eat Elk the best right? We get to Hunt Whitetails right into the Rut and as it winds down then Gun Season starts and yes the Gun Hunters here also complain about the Bowhunters getting all the Big Bucks and making them Nocturnal by the time Gun Season Starts.
It has to be a sight to see a Big Bull Comming in and it would be more of a sight to have one comming in, in Full Rut and all Fired up! Good thing you have your Trusty ML. Im already rooting for ya! Good Luck!
(BP)
Old 03-24-2010, 05:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Though i dont like O" rings or washers, the washers are working veryyyy well in your conversion. As far as 99.9 % ???? I agree in your gun. I actually get three different results with three guns. But, if you can deal with a very tight bolt you can achieve that with most Knights.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:55 AM
Typical Buck

Well don't feel bad sabot, in Montana when don't even know what its like to hunt during the rut. End of Oct. is when general rifle season starts and to top it off we don't even have a muzzleloader season or any late seasons anymore. End of Oct. to End of Nov. thats it.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:11 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Grouse45
Though i dont like O" rings or washers, the washers are working veryyyy well in your conversion. As far as 99.9 % ???? I agree in your gun. I actually get three different results with three guns. But, if you can deal with a very tight bolt you can achieve that with most Knights.
sabotloader: Does your modification result in a tight bolt ? If so, I can put up with a little blow back.

IMO, the big plus with the Lehigh is that the spent primers fell right out (don't stick like the NFPJ) and the ability to replace the vent liner, rather than buy a new B/P.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

rt_con

sabotloader: Does your modification result in a tight bolt ? If so, I can put up with a little blow back.
When he says 'tight bolt' he is talking about the last bit of closing and camming the bolt handle. That tightness is totally dependent on the depth of the primer pocket. Yesterday i was shooting a pocket that was 0.192" deep and when you install the long Winchester primers you feel the primer being pushed on the shelf and the closing of the bolt requires a little bit of pressure - not much but all of the mid length primer the bolt closes great. I think the ideal pocket to fit most guns will be 0.195" - there still might be some pressure required on the long primers in some guns and in other you will not notice anything.

IMO, the big plus with the Lehigh is that the spent primers fell right out (don't stick like the NFPJ) and the ability to replace the vent liner, rather than buy a new B/P.
I am glad that is working for you - I am having the opposite problem on occasions but I am shooting a heavier powder charge than you. With 120 grains of BH or T7 you get a really good push back - pushing the primers out of the battery cup. The domed shape of the vent liner really helps push some of this back pressure off to the side.