Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Why I shoot a White Rifle >

Why I shoot a White Rifle

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Why I shoot a White Rifle

Old 03-18-2010, 01:17 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Why I shoot a White Rifle

Today was really windy. I mean a nasty cross wind. But it was in the 50's and that's too nice of a day not to shoot. So we had to pick a rifle that wind would not bother. Looking at the rack, I decided big lead would be the call for the day.

So I got out my .451 caliber White Model 97. This rifle has a Bushnell 3200 2-7x32mm scope. It also has a 22 inch barrel. I had bought some No Excuses .451 diameter 460 grain conical bullets for it and so I decided to try them. Other wise I shoot the Bull Shop conical bullets.

I decided to try Triple Seven 3f powder. I guessed at 80 grains of powder.

With the way the snow is melting, next week I will be able to move back in distance finally. Which is good. A scoped rifle at 30 yards is kind of easy, but it is fun to shoot good groups.

My first shot was low out of the barrel. It was then my notes indicate I treat this rifle with Montana X-treme bore conditioner. Whether that was the cause of the low shot I can not say. But then with a new box of bullets and a jug of powder, I started shooting as fast as I could. Being it was my White rifle, it was not necessary to swab the bore between shots.

Getting bored of that hole I was making, I adjusted the scope several clicks to the right. I then started all over again.

I realized I was making a nice hole but hardly doing anything more then shooting off my conical bullets and burning up my powder. I was going to stop for the day and wait until I could move back, but then decided just a few more conicals.

I picked out a spot on the target that was free of holes. I even swabbed the barrel to make this interesting before shooting five more without swabbing.

I did mess up. I hit the red solid part and was trying to keep them just above that red block of color in between the two fat red lines. But for a five shot group, I will take it. Also I slowed down and really took my time.

After that I stopped shooting. Now the cleaning report. Like I mentioned, I had been treating this barrel with Montana X-treme Bore Conditioner. I am not saying this Bore Conditioner was the cause for my cleaning joy. But I removed the barrel, held it outside and squirted Simple Green Down the bore. I noticed the fouling was washing out with the spray. I then sprayed ONE patch with Simple Green and pushed that through. I then hit it with a dry patch and a second dry patch. The second dry patch came out with no trace of fouling. Did the Bore Conditioner cause this easy clean up? Can't say. Maybe it was the Simple Green. That is a good cleaner. But I did apply more bore conditioner to the barrel again.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yeah, I know it was 30 yards - but DANG - that's good shooting. Ya` gotta love it when they stack in like that.

How was the recoil with that load?
Old 03-18-2010, 02:27 PM
Dominant Buck

Actually the recoil was not bad. But then a White is a heavy built rifle and seems to soak up the recoil real well.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

Gee Dave jusging by the title I thought this was going to get racial.
Nice shooting. You can't argue with groups where all the bullets are cutting the other holes. Puts a smile on your face every time.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice shooting Dave. It is exactly the way you told me, "Unless you have a White you really don't understand how they shoot".
Art
Old 03-18-2010, 04:22 PM
Dominant Buck

I agree, you really have to experience a White Rifle to understand them. I doubted them for a long time until I got my first one. Then I wondered why I bought the other inline rifles..
Old 03-18-2010, 05:20 PM
tjj
Fork Horn

Nice shootin, them ther Whites sure iz accurate.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

I agree, you really have to experience a White Rifle to understand them.
You guys just won't let up, will you. Don't have a White. Never seen a White up close and personal. Hope I never run across one for sale.

I just made up a little sign and stuck it on the wall behind the computer. It says YOU DON'T NEED A WHITE!
Old 03-18-2010, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I never owned a White rifle but got to shoot several different ones in Crossville TN over the years. One huge success of those rifles is the twist rate of the barrel. 1/24 twist is probably the best twist possible for all different size bullets. I'm really surprised Knight and T/C really never figured that out.

Very Very good shooting Cayugad.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:55 PM
Typical Buck

Excellent Shooting!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.