Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
muzzle velocity vs accuracy >

muzzle velocity vs accuracy

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

muzzle velocity vs accuracy

Old 03-16-2010, 07:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Big Z

the higher velocity will give greater RPMs and therefore deterioration would obviously take longer..
I do not think velocity has anything to do with RPM's that is set in the bore and decays as the bullet travels.... however, velocity will the get the bullet a greater distance before the RPM's decay to instability

I think!
Old 03-16-2010, 08:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

I do not think velocity has anything to do with RPM's that is set in the bore
Wake up Sabotloader. You're lagging behind the class. Revolutions per distance is set in the bore. Reveloutions per minute is a function of both twist and velocity.

Let's slow everything down. If you shoot a bullet out of a 1:36 twist bore at a velocity of three feet per second, the bullet would travel three feet in a second and revolve once during that second (i.e. 60 RPMs). Now shoot that bullet out of the same bore at 6 feet per second the bullet would travel six feet in a second and revolve twice during that second (120 RPMs). It's still rotating one time for every thirty-six inches traveled, but it's traveling twice as far in one second, so higher velocity means higher RPMs - but still one revolution per 36 inches traveled.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Semi

I thinking....

I did think... i really tried

I'll read this again tomorrow... I am baby sitting my 2 1/2 year old grand daughter all by myself - I am not thinking well when it comes to high math...

Last edited by sabotloader; 03-16-2010 at 08:37 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

OK Grandpa. We don't want to distract you from the important stuff.

My youngest granddaughter is seven and her sister is twelve. Delightful ages also, but I wish I could start them over at two again. The twelve year old starred in Samantha's First Turkey (LINK: http://huntingnet.com/forum/black-po...st-turkey.html) What fun they are.

Last edited by Semisane; 03-16-2010 at 09:03 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

Semi

OK it is new day, the diaper is changed she is dressed and playing in the living room, later we are headed to 'Frog Pond' play area in the mall...

but! I think i have it now... RPM does increase with velocity over a given distance and ROT 'rate of turn in a distance' is set by the twist of the bore - am I getting warm???
Old 03-17-2010, 10:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Semi

The way I look at it, the only thing making a bullet spin is the influence of the rifling. Once outside the bore, that influence is eliminated and spin can only diminish. Once started spinning, the bullet does not "want" to spin faster or even keep spinning at all. The RPM and rotation per inch decrease as the bullet travels downrange.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

The RPM and rotation per inch decrease as the bullet travels downrange.
And that's why a bullet can be accurate as heck out to a certain distance and then loose accuracy beyond that distance. The closer a bullet is to the necessary rate of twist for stabilization when it's launched, the shorter the distance at which it looses stability and accuracy.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by sabotloader
lemoyne

But, Lee I think that goes right back to your shooting background... when you were shooting bench competition were you shooting for velocity or accuracy? I believe greater accuracy (consistently) can be had with a reduced load from what you might use hunting...
Mike you really can only separate them to a certain extent. I used 160gr of cartridge grade pyrodex in the gun I won every thing with, it had a 40 inch barrel and the velocity was part of what gave me an edge.
I give you the example of my 2400fps load with the Lehigh 200gr 40 caliber bullet shooting 1/2 to 3/4 inch groups when I am shooting good. The length of the bullet and the twist of the barrel and the whip of the barrel control accuracy as long as the velocity allows all to match up. Take the cartridge guns that shoot 4400 FPS and put all the bullets in one hole as an example if speed caused inaccuracy that could not work.
Also the speed of rotation has been checked with marked bullets and high speed cameras the speed of rotation slows very little after the bullet leaves the barrel, and as for it speeding up after it leaves the barrel thats a fairy tale.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:29 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
OK Grandpa. We don't want to distract you from the important stuff.

My youngest granddaughter is seven and her sister is twelve. Delightful ages also, but I wish I could start them over at two again. The twelve year old starred in Samantha's First Turkey (LINK: http://huntingnet.com/forum/black-po...st-turkey.html) What fun they are.

What is the RPm of the younger granddaughter when she is on her sit & spin?

Does an object in motion tend to stay in motion unless acted on by another force? Just askin'!
Old 03-17-2010, 01:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

I can tell you one thing Old/New, if you give the younger one a ten minute nap and a brownie when she wakes you can double her velocity. .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.