Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Multiple Barrel Guns - Your Opinion? >

Multiple Barrel Guns - Your Opinion?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Multiple Barrel Guns - Your Opinion?

Old 03-14-2010, 10:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Multiple Barrel Guns - Your Opinion?

I was reading the comments in Raybird's thread on the Endeavor, and got to thinking about switch barrel guns.

I once had a cartridge rifle that had two barrels. As I recall, I swapped the barrels twice over the course of the three years I owned that gun. I also had several barrels for my first Renegade and ended up acquiring separate stocks for each of those barrels even though it was simple as pie to switch out the barrels. Essentially, I found that I wanted whole guns, not switch barrels.

Do you or have you owned a switch barrel and, if so, what's been your experience with it.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Question

I don't like the Encore, but live the Contender. Can't understand why they are complete different in performance in my opinion.

Not sure if it is the idea of the split stock, though I have a Savage 99C and a Sidekick ML from NEF. These two guns are wonderful to shoot and group. The NEF is a gun that can be fitted for a second barrel in the Handi Rifle, but it must go back to the factory to do this. I must say that this is all a mistry to me.

I think I mentioned that I think TC made a mistake when they made the Encore. They drill and tap the screw holes for attaching the forend. On the Contender barrels the had a different configuration. They dove tailed the barrel and fitted a nutplate assyembly. I honestly believe this is making my eight Contender G2 barrels shoot with exceptional accuracy. On my Encore I couldn't say this. It just didn't work!
Old 03-14-2010, 12:07 PM
Dominant Buck

I own several barrels for my Renegades and I would really like to have a separate stock for each of the barrels. But what I did is designate one stock for all the switching, and it seems to work for me.

Also if I knew how easy it was to switch barrels on the Renegades and make them do anything an inline can do, I doubt if I would have ever purchased most of my inlines. I could not part with my Whites, but the rest of them I could let go easy.
Old 03-14-2010, 01:03 PM
Typical Buck

Like I've said in the Endeavor post, the encore was just not my cup of tea. The more and more people I talk to they want a whole rifle not barrels to swap. I think you loose some accuracy with having the stock in two seperate pieces and really only having the hinge pin hold everything together. My uncle has a G2 contender and loves it. I've shot it and the accuracy is unbelieveable(As long as I can see thru a pistol scope correctly). Again I agree with RAFSOB Thompson Center needs to fix something. But even if they fixed it I still would want a whole rifle.
Old 03-14-2010, 03:00 PM
Typical Buck

Semi,
I own multiple smokepoles and when I bought my ProHunter I knew I would never swap barrels. Never liked the idea of one gun does it all. I like my Ruger No.1....my H&R ultra slug and everything else in the safe.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:47 AM
Fork Horn

It's great that the different manufactures have came out with the milti barrel firarms. They are the answer to a lot of firearm owner's prayers and I am happy for them. As for myself I will stick to one firearm per frame.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Some people like to work on guns some just like to shoot, I believe those of us that like to work on them find a switch barrel a lot more interesting and useful than those who just want to shoot.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:41 AM
Fork Horn

I like my Optima Elite. The muzzleloader barrel is the most accurate barrel out of the 3 guns I have. I have the .243 barrel for my Optima Elite. It shoots just under an inch with factory loads and have some hand loads I need to try to see what works best. Great shooting gun though. The barrels are top notch IMO. I would like to try the CVA Apex though.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well I bought the KP1 a couple of years ago and planned on buying more barrels for it but I didn't and may not be able to now. I would like to be able to go from the ML barrel to at least one rifle barrel.